Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cleaning Sand

Hi!

Any spills are swept up and put in a 'sand bin'. At the end of the week we seive the contents, spraying with Milton (diluted, of course!!). We spray the sand tray and contents with Milton too, turning it over. Over the weekend it dries, then we seive the two together - at least, that's my understanding, but I'm never there when it happens, being a part-timer!

Sue

First we sieve the dry sand, then we half fill a large bucket with sand and cover with water then agitate it. Any dirt floats to the top, scoup off the water and dirt. turn out to dry.

We rent a church hall too and we make plenty of mess!!!!! The church even pay the cleaner who comes every day so not all church's are bad, honest!

Just had a thought - would it be possible to have a large paddling pool type thing which you could then put your sand tray in? Might be a trip hazard I suppose but what about a large sheet of plastic such as dampproof membrane from the builders yard. Write to the PCC and ask nicely - our PCC are lovely. Yours might be amenable to adapting a bit if you sell it right. What nursery can't have sand? Do you have grain? We use organic wheat. Bet your PCC have never heard of that and haven't banned it! If you even ask for a trial period of a term and they then review the situation. No doubt you would sweep up scrupulously at the end of each session anyway.

Good luck.

Am just reading the guidance from the Health Protection Agency, on preventing cross-infection in childcare settings. They strongly recommend you dispose of sand, etc frequently, as it can harbour infections.

Hi,

Never though of miltoning the sand, fab idea. We dispose of any sand that goes on floor in bin and sieave once a week with a fine mesh. We change our sand every half term.

Net x

:) Hi we mix a solution of anti bax and water, pour over the sand and hey presto we've changed the properties of the sand (science, Knowledge and Understanding etc.) and have killed all those potential little worms that lurk in the sand tray! Remember to anti bax sand toys as well and change as now the sand has different properties, i.e it won't flow so need buckets nd mouldings to get the best from the damp sand.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)