Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

So, What's It All About?

Hello, I am getting REALLY nervous about starting the FD and wondered what everyone was doing at the start of their course? Is there loads to do? I want to be ultra-prepared, so is there anything you can recommend I invest in before I start? Any reading material, stationery etc?

Thanks!

Guest DeborahF

Hi! I've just been asked to be a work place mentor for someone at our nursery who is just starting the foundation degree - this seems to be a condition of her starting the qualification. I'm nor sure whether it's just her college that insists on it but maybe you could have a think about who you will be able to name if you're asked to find someone......I've got to go on some training too!

Clare we have been given our module handbooks, there are four in total and all are pretty self-explanatory they contain all the relevant deadlines, assignment styles (report,essay,portfolio, structure) and content- they are really helpful to help set out how to cover everything.

Also we have been given a "reader" which contains segments from relevant work that our tutors want us to read - critical reading.

We also have a study skills handbook which looks really informative to illustrate structures of writing and how you set things out in the correct way (like references and quotes, that type of thing).

Also we have been already given handouts to discuss in class discussion, our last session was really informative and inspiring but it is a lot of work, I feel better about it now that I have had a few days to organise myself, we got the chance to speak to the yr 2 students and they all said that being Organised was key and also taking opportunities to read and research whenever you can.

We have been advised not to rush out and buy text books as the library is really good and also maybe the whole class could buy different books to share rather than all buying the same one.

Your course may be ran differently as the providers always adapt them slightly and I am sorry if I have been a bit elusive but I am trying to gain those moments to read and organise myself, however here I am on the forum, I think Hali was right there is time, like for instance I can't work on college stuff at the moment, the house if full of children and a normal busy weekend for me, I have to realise that I need to plan proper time to study as well as grabbing moments, I, like you don't always sleep well so we may be both up reading until the early hours.

My turn to tell you not to worry, I honestly feel a lot better about it all and as Beth said it's exciting and I am sure we can all do it, I am not having a great time at work at the moment and that is what is stressing me out more than the course so I have to organise my thoughts as well as all the work, a womans work.......

Hope that is of some help, I am in college on Tuesday so I will either pm you or catch up on the threads to let you now what this week brings.

Oh yes we have a presentation to prepare on Schemas, an individual one which I will be soooo worried about but I know it will help my confidence as a person as well as professionally it's why we've taken the plunge isn't it.

Oh yes we needed a mentor as well, I struggled but have just enlisted my son's teacher at school who is much more enthusiastic about early years that the people I work with!!!

Edited by Guest

Shirel - wow you have your module handbooks already, you are very luck! :o Ours have not arrived yet - still at the printers. :( Could you also PM me please on how your college day's been. :(

Claire - don't worry things can take time to get ready, like no module handbooks to look at! xD Wait until college say what you need in terms of books and use the libary - which i have 4 books out currently ooohhh now i have 8 books to look trought, i got a few books that was in our overall student handbooks. .:(

I have had fun the last 2 weeks on induction making new friends and learning more about the course, next Thursday we start the teaching apsect of the course which wil consisted of looking at our module handbooks (they did not arrive on time last week). I have also discovered that we will be the first wave of Early Years Professionals regardless of wheither the course is 2 years full time or 3 years part time with a 15 month stage 3 top up degree course to validate our new status in childcare.

My course leader has lots of suggestions to her FDey Students:

Have a wall with your college timetable on it.

Words that are unfaimilar to you sheet.

Also a shelf with your books, acdeamic refencing and the personal development booklet in a folder.

I have personally started a weekly timetable to help me cope with the course duing the semester. I have put this with my personal development booklet given by my college. shows you are organised to propective employers. :D

Beth

just wait till you start year two..they start off by saying: :D

well done on passing year one and getting your level four xD:( ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................now level five...the hard work begins!!!!!!!!! :o:(

Edited by hali

Yeah, thanks for that Hali!! :o . Only joking! Thanks everyone, I'm enrolling tomorrow now I have filled in my Transformation Fund application sheets and I am really looking forward to getting started! I know it's going to be difficult, but hey, no pain, no gain as they say!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)