Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Ofsted Are Coming.

Hi every body. This is my second request in 1 week!

we have just heard that OFSTED are coming on Wenesday and Thursday and I feel in a bit of a flap. I am new to reception having been teaching Year 2 for ages so things are a little strange. There are no other teachers in school with Reception experience or knowledge of Foundation Stage so I feel rather isolated. I have read lots about how Foundation Stage should operate but i am still getting my head around the how. Anyway next week my focus should be My Body. Does anybody have any tried and tested ideas that I could use. What do I need to make sure the inspectors see? Also the inspector asked our head that she would want to know about what on entry assesments / baseline assesments we do? I was understanding that this was no longer necessary and that we should be using the profile to assess etc.. can anyone put me straight. I have assessed children's number recognition and counting skills and knowledge of letter sounds.

Hope you can reassure me and stop me panicking! Thanks. :)

You are on the right track. Look at the info that came up from nursery/ pre-school and see what can be transferred onto the profile straightaway. (In my case none because they only recorded yellow and blue stepping stones :o ). Over the first half term we then look at the first three ELGs for our baseline (esp for PSED, CLL and MD). For some children you may find that they can do more than this e.g. in the strand about using numbers as labels and for counting, in which case that shoulod also be recorded. Because baseline is about what the children can do before we teach them anything I do specifically assess phonic knowledge, letter recognition, number recognition, counting, ability to write their own name and rhyme awareness as soon as I can.

We still record our data on paper rather than on eprofile (might change over this year, though) so we record baseline profile scores in a fourth colour. (We use a different colour for each term too).

Hope this helps in some small way - I'm sure others will have their advice too.

hi,

we are in a pre-school but we are doing my body this week.

Measuring height,who is the tallest,making a graph

weighing on scales,talking about different ways to weigh!! :) lots of opportunity to weigh with diff scales

hand prints,foot prints

drawing round the body,child lay on paper,painting sticking (we then put knickers and vest on it)and label all the body parts on the wall,bringing in letter sounds with the children helping you label.

A figure of a body on black paper a4 sort of size making a skeleton with white paper pipe cleaners cutting them up and sticking on the legs arms little ones for ribs etc

feeling your bones talking about different names what are our bones for? etc

the effect excercise has on our bodies,can you feel your heart beat quicken after running etc

we are then going on to senses

hope it is of some help

good luck :)

I have recently started work as an Early Years consultant and we discussed baseline this week as a team. Yes - OFSTED are looking for a baseline if you are in a school setting. They want to see value added! In our prep for OFSTED in school last year we were told that OFSTED will be looking at data and the SEF (Self Evaluation Form) online (which they freeze before coming in!). They put their report together based on what they have seen on SEF and PANDA reports etc. Then you have to spend the two days proving their findings right or wrong! They will not be doing long observations of teaching unless there is a good reason to.

In terms of a baseline - the Profile is fine but needs to be done within the first few weeks of the year to give an accurate picture - use any records from preschool to help. Some settings use the e-Profile or Target Tracker which are Profile and ELG/SS based. Other settings are using PIPS and other local baselines. The important thing is to be able to show progress. That's what they want to see!

There's also a growing emphasis on child led learning and next step planning - basically observations and assessment informing the planning, so try and include something of that on weekly plans. Scribble all over your plans in the classroom showing that they are working documents that are constantly used and adapted.

Hope all that is slightly useful. Above all, don't panic. Be confident. Keep doing the good things you always do and don't attempt anything new while they are in!!!!

All the best :o

I have recently started work as an Early Years consultant and we discussed baseline this week as a team. Yes - OFSTED are looking for a baseline if you are in a school setting. They want to see value added! In our prep for OFSTED in school last year we were told that OFSTED will be looking at data and the SEF (Self Evaluation Form) online (which they freeze before coming in!). They put their report together based on what they have seen on SEF and PANDA reports etc. Then you have to spend the two days proving their findings right or wrong! They will not be doing long observations of teaching unless there is a good reason to.

In terms of a baseline - the Profile is fine but needs to be done within the first few weeks of the year to give an accurate picture - use any records from preschool to help. Some settings use the e-Profile or Target Tracker which are Profile and ELG/SS based. Other settings are using PIPS and other local baselines. The important thing is to be able to show progress. That's what they want to see!

There's also a growing emphasis on child led learning and next step planning - basically observations and assessment informing the planning, so try and include something of that on weekly plans. Scribble all over your plans in the classroom showing that they are working documents that are constantly used and adapted.

Hope all that is slightly useful. Above all, don't panic. Be confident. Keep doing the good things you always do and don't attempt anything new while they are in!!!!

All the best :o

This was very much how we found our OFSTED last year. The inspectors came in already having decided on their report. They didnt ask to see any paperwork as in previous inspections. As we are a FSU and most of our children enter the reception year from the nursery we are able to show how progress is tracked from entry to nursery to entering KS1. On entry baseline needs to be completed in the first 6 weeks so they shouldnt be looking for completed entry profiles but there will need to be some evidence that this is in progress.

Good Luck Im sure you will be fine its not as scary as the build up.

Just want to say thanks to you all that info has been really useful. Hope I can meet their requirements. Build up is horrible! only just got in from school... this is going to be a long week! thanks everyone -what a wonderful site this is!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)