Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nappy Changing

HI

are there any set guidlines for how often we should be changing nappies in a private day nursery.

Currently nappies are changed at 11 and four and of course in between if they are soiled. we open at 7:30 and close at 6.

so for some children that come in at 7:30 i think waiting till 11 for a nappy change is just a bit too long, and equally 11 - 4 is quite a big gap between changes.

how often do others do nappies, do you change more frequently in baby room?

also systems for changing, i have told all staff they have to wear gloves for nappy changingeven if nappy is only wet... do other nurseries have this 'rule'?

Dawn

we are open from 8-6. nappies are changed at 10.30,12.30.2.30 and 4.30 and any other time they need it. all staff wear gloves at every nappy change . use nappy sacks for each indivdual nappy with then goes into a yellow bag and then into a yellow bin for disposal by waste disposible company . some say over the top but we dont have any problems. parents are happy and most importantly children are happy and comfortable.

I am not a day nursery with babies but do have some 2 year olds in nappies. I ask the parents how often they change their children as a guidline to the childs individual bosy functions. Obviously as they are older some can even request a change. My daughter used to (in my opinion) change her son too frequently, but experiencing this helped me realise that parents have different expectations as to 'how often'.

Staff should wear gloves for ALL nappy changes, soiled and wet to prevent cross contamination of bodily fluids.

Peggy

In my nursery we change at 11am, 2.30pm and 4.30pm, and if wet or soiled in between. All children are regularly checked, and nappy changing times recorded, complete with contents, rashes etc. (We open 8am to 6pm)

We all wear gloves and aprons, changed between children, wipe down surface between each child etc. Have just this week done up to date infection control training and aprons and gloves is a MUST.

Is apron to be changed between each change? ~ currently we use one apron a day for nappy changing.

We wipe the mat after each change and wash hands after each change (also wear gloves for each change)

I was appalled to find out the other day that the old manager had told staff that if a child's nappy was wet then they did not need to be wiped with a baby wipe, that really shocked me and the worrying thing was that all staff were going along with it. no one had thought to question the old manager. needless to say we do now wipe all children with a wipe even if there nappy is only wet....

Dawn

dmn361c - where who ran the Infection Control training? Was it your local authority? Is there a web-site I can go to or something I can read to get some guidelines?

Yes, we have been told this week, a new apron for each child!!

We were already doing this, so no great problems there!

~ who told you that?

just being nosey but i want to make sure we are getting it right

Dawn

HI can I hijack this thread to ask about pull ups?? I have jsut started in a nursery attached to a school and was wondering what people do about children in pull ups? Are they allowed (if child does not have specific problem) advice needed please.

All the settings I've been to have new apron and gloves for each change with the mat sprayed after each child. In my current setting the changes are 11 and 2, with others as necessary. Beau I'm with you on the environment, some of the nappies are changed purely because thats what time it is rather than because it's needed. :o

Pull up's are horrible, I dont see the point of them, children are either in a nappy or pants what is the reason for pants that feel like a nappy? And when there's a poo in them......! I dont actually know of any reason they would not be allowed though. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)