Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teachers Pay

Talk to your head it is up to them to ensure that contracts etc are changed and up dated.

However if you are on pay scale 6 you stop there I'm afraid and can only get paid more by;

taking on extra responsibility and getting TLR's or management points depending on how your school is running it.

going for threshold payment which involves collecting evidence that you are capable of doing that bit more that turns you into a higher level teacher.

becoming a senior leader which means going onto the leadership pay scale and working your way up that - school budget and performance management allowing!

Liz x

• 2 weeks later...

Whether or not your pay goes up depends on several things:

Has your head/admin officer processed the forms on time/correctly

Has your local authority got their act together and implemented the new pay scales?

Either way things tend to sort themselves out by next month and any pay rises due will be back dated.

For more specific advice you need to give more details - how long teaching, where etc.

There are plenty of places on the internet to get info about payscales.

In my experience local authorities/schools often take an extra month to sort this out. Now we could all rant about how they knew this was coming, it happens every year, it's common knowledge, if I was that incompetant in my teaching I'd be sacked etc. etc. but it's the way of the world. Just check out what you think you are entitled to and make a polite request of your headteacher who should by the way provide you with an annual statement of your salary level . When you get that in writing your new salary will not be far away.

Thanks for that Marion

First year I haven't progressed from one Main scale to the next and no TLR addition, had to tell head and found that all staff have the wrong pay either too much or too little!!!

Never happened before!!

we were talking in SMT ths week about chnages that will not make progression automatic and it will be up to ine managers to decide through PM wthere or not a teacher makes the progression..I dont think Im looking forwad to that! (I thnk 2008 was mentioned)

Hi, I need a bit of help regarding threshold! I'm currently doing a job share (3 days a week) with a graduate teacher after returning from maternity leave. i've been on M6 for a while as I left school to work at a college then returned to school after 3 years...... I'm now wondering what to do, i've had a quck look on teachernet but I'd really welcome some straightfoward advice with regard to collecting evidence etc and can it be backdated at all i.e. if I apply during this year does it get back dated to sept 'o6 or will it be paid from sept '07??

AAAaaarrrrgh I'm getting confused, help

Jane

If I remember rightly, the evidence has to be collected from the past 2-3 years from the date of application. You have until the 31st August 2007 to submit your application this year, and if you are successful, you will have your pay backdated to September 2006.

For the past two or three years, there has been no external verification or assessment. It is all done by the headteacher. I did not hand in a file of evidence, I simply referenced certain files within my application (eg "see planning file", see "performance management file", "see profiles", etc). The application can all be on the form download through Teachernet.

Good luck :)

Jackie

I've found this guidance on anyone wanting to aplly for UPS2 if anyone finds it useful:

http://www.selb.org/reports/prsd/AnnexB.pd...d%20evidence%22

The follwing sites also have some info on applying, the stockton one looks particularly useful for assessing what you have achieved,etc:

http://www.atl.org.uk/atl_en/help/pay_calc...old_decline.asp

http://cpd.stockton.gov.uk/docs/Pre-thresh...d%20evidence%22

http://www.teachers.org.uk/resources/pdf/T...OLD-ROUND-6.pdf

Good Luck! PS I want to apply for UPS2 but had an absence of approx 6months 2 and a half years ago...will this still affect my application? (I don't want to apply if it means taking on something extra as it was a severe illness)

I've found this guidance on anyone wanting to aplly for UPS2 if anyone finds it useful:

Good Luck! PS I want to apply for UPS2 but had an absence of approx 6months 2 and a half years ago...will this still affect my application? (I don't want to apply if it means taking on something extra as it was a severe illness)

I didnt apply for UPS2 just got a letter from the head and governors saying I had been awarded it ?????????

I had a bad fall 2 years ago and lost almost a terms work and this didnt affect my pay award.

Thanks Marion, that's reassuring...I might just go for it as my results from data and observations have all been very good since my return...I'll let you know if I pluck up the courage!

I understood it was based on successful performance management and should be automatic although you might need to remind your head that you have had 2 of those and are now eligible.

As a supply teacher I am now out of the loop on this one but when I went to UPS2 the magic words were sustained and substantial contribution. My head insisted that we talked to her about this but it was really just a process.

Good luck to everyone!

According to my HT progression to UPS2 is not automatic and the Governors have to be satisfied that you are maintaining the UPS standards in all areas. She also said it depends on whether the school budget can afford it as the extra payment from UPS1 to UPS2 is not paid by the Government :o

i had to provide a portfolio of evidence for UPS2, i coundt be b othered for ups 3 I havre to say, besdies I think it makes me more unemployable as i look for other jobs that dont constitute a promotion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)