Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet Problems

Does any one have any bright ideas on how to make our nursery toilets more child friendly or how to encourage children to be happy about going in there independently and using them.

we have quite a few new starters this term who have issues about using the tiolet and won't even go in there or get very anxious about using them boys and girls.

I have thought about putting up pictures posters etc does anyone else do this? or is there a health and safety issue eg all surfaces need to be able to be cleaned. It is a school tiolet for 3 and 4 year old children all ideas gratefully recieved.

Our toilets are painted very vibrantly and have real towels in which are washed every day. We have the toilet door open so that it invites them to go in. All our equipment is child-sized and we have child-friendly posters and messages on the walls. Hope this helps!

Speaking of toilets though, we had a lunchtime issue today whereby a dinner lady asked a child's older brother to wipe his sisters pooey bottom because she was upset on the loo!! Couldn't believe this, have obviously informed the headteacher as I don't think that's acceptable at all -what do you think? They are also asking older siblings to sort their younger siblings out if they carry on at lunchtime. I have given them a supply of stickers to reward children and am hoping this helps

oh Kermit, lunchtimes can be so difficult, cant they? Sometimes of course the presence of an older sibling can be very reassuring but what a pressure that can be for the older child too. As for the personal hygiene bit, I'm doubt they do that for each other at home!

know this problem, we are in a hired hall and they can appear very daunting especially as ours are adult sized. we painted the walls bright colours with donated paint!

hall gave permission as it saved them a job,

we have pictures in our toilets, no one has ever commented on them,

could the children not do some of their own work to go out there,

ours did a lovely poster about washing hands for a reminder,

you could always laminate them so they are wipable/cleanable.

Inge

Edited by Inge

Thanks for your suggestions I have begun adding posters and photos of the children washing their hands etc will add some of their work too I'm hoping this will help. Lunchtimes are difficulut but I agree older children shouldn't have the pressure of looking after their younger siblings I think it's unfair!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)