Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Send Mother's Day And Father's Day Cards?

I'm here again.

In the LEA nursery I work in, the children make and send Mother's day cards.

Now for the nonsense bit.

We don't make Father's day cards. :o

Apparently its because there are now so many children who don't have a dad at home that it would be too upsetting for the mums and/or any new partners/step-fathers, to ask them to pass the cards on. Also because we have so many children from single parent families we don't need to make them. Apparently.

Is it me or is this the most rediculous argument?!

Once again, I try without much success to make the point that this is EXACTLY the reason that the children should be sending cards, but to no avail.

Sainsbury's is looking better all the time!

Fluff x

We make Morthers Day and Father Day cards. We have some single parent families including a father who has custody of his children.

If we're not absolutely sure of the current situation, we ask. If the parent says please don't make a mother/father,card as they have no contact for whatever reason, then the child can make a card for grandparent, friend, or whoever they want, that way they don't miss out on making something.

Sue J

We make a Fathers Day, Mothers Day or "Someone Special" card and find that covers all - we are aware of children's circumstances and try to accommodate accordingly, even if dad or mum is not at home they still may like a card. :D

We too make mother's and father's day cards. We always ask the children to think of 'someone special' to send their card to if we know there is no dad/mum on the scene - 9 out of 10 times it's sent to grandma or grandad.

We make both and have sometimes posted them out to absent dads (those who have their name as a contact still)or they are given to uncles/grandads. Last year we had a child whose father had died - he still made a card and he and mum put it on his grave :o As the child was making it he spoke more about his dad than he ever had before, not sadly but matter of factly so a useful exercise all round.

Megsmum

I always get the children to make both cards. It is introduced as a special day to celebrate what our grown ups do for us and tell them it's M's day or F's day. it is also a chance to teach about diversity as you can say to the children that not everyone has a Mum or Dad, then suggest they make a card for another carer in their life. Equally, some children end up making more than one card: last year we had a child whose mother had died, so one was made for dead mothers grave and also for step mum.

we do both but the fathers day one we do to the man in thier lives cards!!!! it covers all we check details and if dad is not on registration or no contact we send to grand dad's "uncles" or partners. never had any problems I think some things you can take to far and as long as you know the family situation and discuss any sensitive ones so you get it right

We send mothers day cards (mothering sunday as Im instructed by our RE co ordinator is a 'real' occasion and Fathers day is a commercial invention her arguement not mine)

As my husband died when my son was in reception class and before my daughter was born neither had a male figure in their lives to send father's day cards to and this was a major issue for my daughter once she started school never really bothered my son he just made the card and brought it home as he would anything he made at school.

Ive only once been in the situation where a child had no one to give her card to on Mothering Sunday so she decided to make one for her dad as he was both mum and dad.

Edited by Marion

I think that is a ridiculous argument!! What about the children who DO have dads either living at home, or whom they see regularly? Sorry, have had a really bad day :o

Hey don't apologise!!! I'm in full agreement.

I find it really difficult to get my ideas heard in this particular nursery. Too many staff been there for too long.

I've worked in nurseries where they send a card to the 'someone special' and think its a great idea.

Your responses have given me fuel for my argument, which even considering the time of year, I'm going to take to the nursery teachers soon!!!

Thank you!

Fluff x

Guest MaryEMac

We also make Mothers day and Fathers day cards and like a lot of the others if we know that Dad isn't around it becomes a card for someone special. This year one of our children, who doesn't see his Dad, sent his card to Nannie and Grandad.

Mary