Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Autumn Term -reception

I am new to Reception having been Y2 teacher for years. I am struggling with literacy and was wondering what your Adult initiated activities look like at this time of year. I just need an idea of the sorts of tasks /activities that you might be doing. I have found loads of interesting stuff on this site. Hope you can help! We are doing 'Ourselves and Our Bodies for the remainder of this half term does anyone have good ideas of Big books? Thanks

Hi Fliss and welcome

you do sound as if you may be trying to be very formal?

I would be concentrating on naming body parts and singing, "heads, shoulders, kness and toes". You could paint pictures and label them and perhaps make funny bones pictures. You could also do some simple senses work.

Not sure about specific texts but I always like "Elmer" as a start for this topic and there is a book about people being special ----not sure of the name ofhand and it may not be a big book.

You could try looking at some of the planning on hamiltontrust.org.uk to get ideas of early reception year work.

You could be getting the children to paint themselves and talk about their faces and how they are the same/different. Naming body parts and using lots ofwords for how the children move, jumping , running, crawling etc. You could make a big book about the children, pictures of families, them as babies and scribe for the children things they would like to say. Put this in your book area for the children to refer to and 'read' together. Use a rhyme like 'heads shoulders knees and toes and make a very large rhyme card from this that the children can'read/sing' to each other. This can go on a display table or in your book area. Display books on the theme for the chidlren to refer to.

Choose a role-pay that fits in- it could be home play or a hospital or clinic. Literacy would be within this as vocabulary development, oral interaction between the children, opportunities for writing on message pads, appointments pads etc, or in the house, message pads, lists, postcards, home made cards and evelopes etc. Adult initiated would be included within these areas when you go and interact within the play to model and encourage the children to write in these contexts.

Hi we start off with ourselves too - only really started it properly this week but we have made paper plate faces for our birthday wall, have played with mirrors to explore features of our face; lots of body songs and games. For big books we have also used Elmer and talked about how we are all different, we are also getting to know Kipper and his family (we do ORT scheme) and generating talk about their own families. We have also been trying to find own name cards and 'writing' names, although I've got so many who can't record much yet so am letting them 'pretend' write. Other things we will do in the next few weeks includes ( we will use resources in a variety of areas maths,K+U of W etc) Tapping our name on the tambourine/a friend's name, draw around a girl and boy and decorate for display. Make a 'helping hands' display to reinforce some 'rules', Hand and feet printing,finger painting...lots more as well but will see how we go as children still getting to know each other

I agree that Elmer is a great book for the Ourselves topic. I haven't used ORT big books but I think I might investigate now!

We are doing:-

Lots of phonics games - initial sounds lotto, sorting by initial sounds etc etc

Writing practice in trays of sand or rice

Chalk and boards

Drywipe pens and boards

Making letters in playdough

Finding letters in sand or water tray

HTH :D

:) thanks every body for those really useful ides. Yes I do have to watch out that I don't get too formal. your ideas make lots of sense. Now I will be looking forward to doing lots more play!! I can see that this is going to be a very useful site.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)