Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swearing

Does swearing infront of children constitute a disciplinary? Before I worked at the nursery, I am aware that the issue was addressed with 1 particular staff member - but not much done about it.

I found out at 6:15pm today from one of the team, that the same team member has been doing it again, saying: "Well babies don't understand".

Obviously I am going in tomorrow to address it straight away, but just wanted some advice please - I'm fuming!

well I wouldnt stand for it Shelley either.

They may be only words but in what context were they used? If in conversations with other staff about their private life it should be kept for staff breaks.

For instance if said in an aggressive way then babies certainly would pick it up.

also these staff will not be with babies all the time,they should be using good practise.

If it said in a 'the little bugger' context then that too is out of order.Stamp on it now stand your ground and say you will NOT TOLERATE IT under any circumstances. :o

I would be fuming too!!! The fact that they are babies doesn't make any difference at all. It's disrespectful and not professional.

I would certainly have to say something, the fact that this has happened before is worse. I wouldn't want any member of staff swearing in front of children, parents or other staff members.

I always remember watching a programme on tv about a nursery and the staff were talking about the antics they got up to the 'night' before with their partners. The children didn't understand, but I felt so uncomfortable watching it, they really let the children (and parents) down. There is a time and place for this and it certainly isn't when working with children!

Good luck - not nice to have to do this, but she has to be told.

My blood was boiling when I read your post - how dare they :o . I don't work in a DN but my children went to one and were in the baby room- as a parent I would be making a massive complaint if I heard about staff doing that. I don't swear in front of my children and I wouldn't expect anyone else to do either, whatever their age.

Is it written down that they had a verbal warning? If so then it should be the next stage even with a different manager surely?

Good luck, I don't envy you sorting this out but I am sure you will :)

Megsmum

Nothing more to add Shelley, other than I agree with everyone here that it should not be tolerated and action should be taken straight away to prevent it from happening again. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

All I would say is that you should make sure you follow your procedures to the letter and keep documentation as evidence so that you are covered. Do you have some sort of staff code of conduct that you could refer to? Good luck. :)

We do have a Code of Conduct.

I spoke to the team member today and explained how (obviously) it is not acceptable under any circumstances to swear infront of the children. I have kept a record of it all and told her that it is her 1st warning, and if it happens again it will be straight into disciplinary action.

She was very remorseful, and totally understood, and said that she doesnt do it consciously - it is just part of her vocabulary, and that she is going to try really hard.

As far as the "babies don't understand" thing - I think I have some training to do!!

Thanks for the support.

Glad to hear she took on board what you have said. I was going to say that your 'system' needs to ensure that 'complaints' from other members of staff about another member of staff will need to be recorded, as an 'incident' at the time it happens, witnessed, signed etc, otherwise you may end up with a denial that it ever was said, and/or accusation of 'gossip' etc.

As she seems so remaorseful, maybe an acknowledgement of praise to her in the future will 'help' her continuous efforts at not repeating what she says is her normal vocabulary.

I do agree with all others that swearing is an unacceptable form of behaviour, at any time, no matter who you are speaking to. It is just so disrespectful and shows a poor grasp of the english language.

Peggy

Yes, I would keep it in their own file because it would be availbale at appraisals and remain confidential from other staff. Also if it is in just one place, it is easier to see a pattern of events etc, should there be continuous reasons to write incident reports on any particular person. Maybe also decide a time frame for when a verbal or written discipline record is 'spent' if at all. :o

Peggy