Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Speech And Language

Guest Jillbetts

Guest Jillbetts

:o I work within the Early Years Team of the Learning and Behaviour Service. I support children within Nursery and Mainstream School settings up to the end of Reception.

I am finding more and more children with speech and language problems and wondered if anyone else had noticed this increase. There also seems to be less and less support for these pupils with mainstream school with speech and language problems. I would be grateful of your comments.

Hi Jill -

Nothing specific to say about tne numbers of children Jill, but I wondered if you'd seen today's news from the DfES about making more resources available for SEN children, especially at an earlier age?

If not, you can see it here. :)

Hi Jill,

I've been reading that speech and language problems seem to be on the increase; in my area, the EYDCP have been running courses on "Talking Partners", and project from an LEA in the north, I think. It encourages settings to focus on developing communication skills with the children, supposedly to counteract the lack of conversation they might have got at home in days gone by!!!

Do you see the problem in terms of speech production or comprehension?

Guest Jillbetts

:o Hi Helen

In my role I am seeing more and more children who do not seem to understand the meaning of language. They have no understanding of feelings. I am spending alot of my time giving the communication skills and also teaching the children a script, a series of sentences or words that they can use in certain situations that they find themselves in, for example "I am playing with the bike" to replace a push, punch or a scream! Some children are referred to the speech and language team and they say that the child is so bad that it can not attend their programme and they are left in school to cope. This is happening more and more.

Jill

It's very worrying , isn't it? Do you recommend circle time activities to your settings, where the practitioner can do the same sort of thing you are doing, all be it in a group, rather than individually? I say this because circle time has really helped in our setting with developing communication skills/empathy with others, etc. A member of my team has taken circle time as an area for her own professional development, and has really flown with it, using puppets to discuss feelings and appropriate behaviour, etc.

Guest Jillbetts

xD:o:D I have developed a circle time activity that over 5 weeks explores feelings as I was finding that lots of children do not understand the difference between happy and sad. I really enjoy starting this circle time in a new setting as you can see the children develop their understandings and by the end of the 5th week they are really enjoying the different activities and teachers say that it has a knock on effect in the classroom. So I feel that Circle time is a very important tool within the classroom environment.

Jill

Hi Jill

I too have noticed an increase in speech and language problems over the past few years. The increase has been with both boys and girls, I used to find that we had predominantly boys with problems. But, this year, we have a number of girls who are having speech therapy, more than before.

We use circle time a lot in our pre-school. We use it to explore feelings and for helping children to understand what is and is not acceptable behaviour. We also use it for listening skills, both listening to instructions and to one another. The children enjoy it and seem to get a lot out of it. The adults enjoy it too, especially when a normally quiet child opens up and chats away.

Linda

Guest Jillbetts

Hi Linda

I find that when I visit pre-school and they ask me to do circle time, I always are given the quiet children to work with and time after time I have to explain that I need some good role models within the group or we will get no where fast. I once had a group of children that english was their second language and I found that difficult, I ended up using pictures to communicate, which was good but what they actually got out of the exercise I am not sure. But the group remembers me and always smile and wave when they see me. So that is something.

Jill :o

I think one of the best things about circle time is that it gives those children who can't normally get a word in edgeways the opportunity to talk. But it is also a good tool to encourage those children who would answer all the questions and chatter away nineteen to the dozen to sit and listen. We use a soft toy and on most occasions they can only speak when they are holding it.

You are right about good role models-the quieter children need to be able to see what they are supposed to be involved in. If they're all sitting with no communication going on then the exercise is pointless!!

Linda

Helen, I like the idea of someone taking on circle time as part of their prof. dev. Think I will suggest that. We had Makaton training today. It is my first time! We have 2 children who the slt thinks will benefit from using it.

The bit I find hard is trying to get funding for extra time for children who need some one to one. If it is only late development of sounds, then no real chance for extra help. Mind you, we do have good access to our speech therapist. She comes to work with us approx every two weeks.

Chris

That's interesting...we don't have any access to a speech and language therapist; individual children see her for an appointment, but I've always thought how useful it would be to have an SLT who visits the setting. How does it happen? Do you need to request it somehow?

This is something which annoys me somewhat regarding the private/voluntary sector versus maintained sector issue. I know that local authority nurseries in the Stockport area have access to a language and speech therapist on a regular basis, I think weekly in some cases. But the private and voluntary sector does not have this privilege. Our children have individual appointments with parents and, if they are lucky, the therapist will visit pre-school once. A little inequality there I think????

Linda

At least you've got them, Linda.

In my LEA there seeems to be a chronic shortage and I've heard it bandied about that we would need 50 therapists to clear the the waiting list.

Certainly its only a very lucky few who get what they need.

Susan

It certainly seems to be a lottery when it comes to these things doesn't it? And a lot depends on where you live! It's so unfair-surely all children deserve the very best no matter where they live or what their backgrounds are? Oh dear, I feel a soapbox moment coming on! Time for bed I think!

Linda

Guest Jillbetts

Hi

The same is true in my LEA area, I have heard that we need 15 Salt team members to clear the list, but the list is being added too and so will nearer end. The children visit the Salt team at the hospital with their parents and that is it. The setting and the Salt never meet. I am lucky enough in my role to be able to visit the children at the hospital and see them in one of their Salt sessions. I often just ring the Salt team for help and they find out who's been allocated that particular child and then we meet and discuss then best way to support them in the setting. Perhaps the LEA and government should put some extra cash in Speech and Language. Although they are launching the Speaking and Listening programme, which I know that teachers have been crying out for your years. Perhaps we should begin crying out now. :o

Jill

Guest Jillbetts

:D Hi Lou

you are welcome hope that find some information that helps. I have just recieved the speaking listening learning pack from the dfes. Looks alot of fun :oxD I think I leave that until i'm back at work next week.

:DJill

Guest Jillbetts

Hi Linda

I agree it is usualy the children that need it most that do not get it. Parents can't or won't take the children to the appointments and the SALT team do not visit the settings. Something is really wrong.

<_< Jill

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)