Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jolly Phonics

Hi

We recently put out a 'getting to know you' sheet for all our new starters which included the usual questions 'what does your child like to play with?' etc. and we have been really surprised that quite a number of parents say that their children enjoy using Jolly Phonics at home?!?!

Is this a new trend?

We are a sessional pre school, and although we introduce 'letter sounds' in our play contexts we don't use a particular scheme such as jolly phonics etc. or have any formal teaching of phonics in the sessions. Just wondered do any other Pre Schools use Jolly phonics or similar, looking forward to hearing your responses - have any other pre schools come across this trend of children loving Jolly Phonics at home???

Cant answer your question specifically but I am not surprised that parents are reporting to you that their children enjoy jooly phonics because it is very child friendly, which is why it is so successful! If they have elder siblings they may have come into contact with it through them otherwise they obviously have clued in parents! Personally, I dont like the video but I appreciate that I am not the target audience and there are quite a few books that are readily available in good bookshops, is it sold in ELC?

The kineaesthetic approach is easily adopted and you could integrate that alongside what you already do without any formality of phonics teaching.

Good luck!

We are a pre-school and have the Jolly Phonics CD and use that with two letters each week-this is for those children who are in their year before school. They really enjoy learning the songs and treat it just like any other singing session we have.

Linda

Hi

We do the same, we have the cd which the kids love, we do one letter a week and encourage the children to bring in something to show at circle time beginning with that letter, we have so many items that come in, kids love it!!!!!

The books used to be readily available in WH Smith (not sure if they still are?)

I guess that parents, clued up or not, feel pressure on having children to read, write and count at an early age and go looking for 'tools' to move that along. Jolly Phonics has been cleverly designed to appeal to children and look bright and fun and eyecatching to parents too.

I guess it is our job to reinforce the 'play' aspect of learning so that the parents do not put too much pressure on their children at too young an age and turn them off learning altogether.

We find lots of parents purchase Jolly Phonics for their children knowing they will be using them in school. We even had one parent buy them BEFORE her son was born and she used the JP letters as a room frieze! ok so they bright and colourful xD

The draw back I find as a teacher is some children enter school having already 'met' JP and having firmly established mislearnt sounds :o

Hi,

I work in Pre-School and we don't have Jolly Phonics although I've been reading lots of interesting topics about it on the forum and it seems to be a big hit..might have to give it a whirl. :)

The only thing we have at registration twice a day is the song of the day and the children go nuts for it..

It goes something like this (thank heavens they don't have a microphone link up!!)

Today it is Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday.

Today it is Tuesday - it's Tuesday today.

Tuesday starts with a T, a T, a T - Tuesday starts with a T, a T just like...???

and then the children have to try and give me examples of things that begin with T...They love to show me how clever they are by rolling three or four words off at a time..bless em!

It's a good way for them to join in as group and it gets them thinking...Only downfall is it only uses the letters M, T, W and F - but I suppose it is a start!

Anyway sorry about that - off on a tangent. Can anyone recommend a good book on Jolly Phonics? Title or author will do...

Thanks,

Lu x :)

Our approach is similar Lu, we are in the 2-3yr group and we use "Who's here today?" to emphasise letter sounds and touch on phonics, at this age I think that is enough - except of course grabbing any unplanned opportunities which happen throughout the morning, nearly every method of communicting offers an opportunity to learn sounds.

At our older section 3-4yrs the children are encouraged to look at the formation and sound of letters and sounds but they don't use JP.

Our approach is similar Lu, we are in the 2-3yr group and we use "Who's here today?" to emphasise letter sounds and touch on phonics, at this age I think that is enough - except of course grabbing any unplanned opportunities which happen throughout the morning, nearly every method of communicting offers an opportunity to learn sounds.

At our older section 3-4yrs the children are encouraged to look at the formation and sound of letters and sounds but they don't use JP.

Sorry don't know why there's two replies, it has been a long day!!

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)