Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Raising Boys Achievement Using Outdoor Play.

I am currently completing my dissertation looking at how I can raise boys achievement using outdoors as a vehicle. I have observed that the majority of boys in my setting seem to prefer the outdoors to inside and appear to be engaged in a wider range of activites for extended periods of time. I would be really interested in any observations anyone may have noted in their own settings or any outdoor activites that have really helped the boys to develop their social or literacy skills. thanks :o

Hi Jay,

This is a really interesting topic, isn't it? We've found in our setting that the boys benefit from as much outdoor play as absolutely possible! We were concerned initially that they would be only interested in the wheeled toys (usually tractors and diggers) and generally running about, but with a bit of planning we've found we can direct them to other activities where they are learning mathematical concepts for example. The first big improvement we made was a large sandpit that four or five children can happily sit in, build road tracks, and construction sites. This gave us lots of opportunities for number work, and shape and space-type stuff. We also set up an area of the garden purely for digging, and this evolved into role play areas; "people at work making roads", "garden landscape workers" "gas pipe fitters" etc etc! Clipboards and pencils gave us opportunities for encouraging the boys to make notes, and direct their workmates with instructions. Lots of scope here too for cooperative play and negotiation skills.

Most recently, our topic has been about materials, and we take a laundry basket-load of lengths of fabric outside. The role play that has come out of this has been great! Usually led by the children, we have had the fabric turned into picnic rugs, sailing boats, a bride's train, and a stormy sea.

Hope this helps Jay; how about posting your completed dissertation as an article at a later stage? I know lots of people would be very interested in reading it. :)

Hi Jay,

I recently visited a nursery where they had built a, 'hill' in their outdoor activity area. It was covered by an all- weather proof surface, so it could be utalised all year round. It was very popular with both genders and was a valuable resource used in many songs and rhymes such as, The Grand old Duke of York.

In fact they listed the, 'hill' as their most valuable resource and used it through play to cover many areas of the curriculum.

It was something I'd not seen before and considered it to be a brilliant way for the children to be engaged in an outdoor activity, which the boys seemed to particularly enjoy, while learning at the same time.

Hope that's of some help, good luck with the dissertation, I am just starting to think about mine for next year!

Kindest regards,

Roe

There is a section in The Thinking Child Resource Book with 21 ideas for bringing the outdoors in, and the indoors out. Here are the first five:

1. Put a plastic tunnel over the threshold and have entry and exit through the tunnel (children only!)

2.Put a pop up tent just outside the door, joined to the tunnel over the threshold. This is good for wet days.

3.Leave a basket of playground chalk, a few white boards and pens, or a basket of clipboards to encourage writing and drawing outside.

4.Make up a picnic basket with a blanket, plates, cups and so on, and leave it by the door so that children can set up house wherever they want.

5.Make a shop outside, and encourage children to move between the inside and outside situations.

If you don't have access to a copy of the book and want me to email you more, you can contact me via here or my website at www.acceleratedlearning.co.uk

Hope this helps!

Nicola

Thanks for all your input. It has been really useful and no doubt I will be trying out many of them.

Helen if you think it would be useful to anyone I would not mind posting my finished dissertation but it will be 7000 words long! (HELP!!!) Or if you wanted I could post the abstract which would summarise everything. I am flattered that you think it would be of any interest.

Thanks again

Jay :D

Hi Jay -

If I may respond on behalf of Helen who is away for a couple of days - we'd love to post the dissertation! It might be a good idea to post the abstract as an article, with a downloadable document containing the rest of it, for those who want more detailed information.

Thanks for the offer - if you PM me closer to the completion, we'll work out the details! :D

Regards, Steve.

I have just been reading these messages with interest as i have just completed my research for my own dissertation on the outdoor environment. My research focused on the contribution of the outdoor area to early learning and among my findings thwo of them were:

The significant difference in the number of boys, to girls, opting for this area and the gender differences in the way they interact. Also, the effectiveness of the outdoors in facilitating imaginative play (especially for boys). My research was gathered over a 6 month period with the same group of nursery children so i hope this is of any help!!!

OOOOO! that sounds really good Alysha! Please, please, please :D:D:D could I reference it in my essay as it exactly what I have been looking for. Research linking boys and outdoor play is thin on the ground to say the least. If Steve could post it that would be great because I could read it all and get the details ie date etc to reference it.

Jay

Helen, I'm very flattered that you would read my book in half term. (I'm busy working on the next one, to hopefully keep you busy this time next year. :D )

Harricroft, if you pm or email me I can send you some more ideas. :o

Nicola

Hi Jay

i have been on placement recently in a reception class where space was limited. because of this there was an outdoors activity planned for ever session rain or shine. this was achieveable because the receptionclass courtyard had a partial covering. the children all responded well to being outdoors for a part of the day and learning in this environment.

this kind of learning through play is acceptable at foundation but may not be suitalbe for KS1 i dont know what level you are wokring with but every area in the foundation stage lends itself to outdoor activities that can be physcial and enjoyable

will ponder more and get back to you.

Thanks for everyone' s input, I was hoping I could ask your opinions on a slightly different area as well.

Following my first teaching sessions with a group of boys I have descovered that language has increased but noticed that they have there own agenda. I feel as if perhaps I am trying to encourage the boys to do something that they don't want to do. They are very interested in the topic but I think I need to plan more for exploration rather than teacher led activities.

Does anyone else find that boys appear to have their own strong agenda's outside? Is it the same for girls.

Would be really grateful for any input.

Ta

Jay