Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ground Rules

im setting ground rules for the classroom and making it into a display i have the following

running feet are for outside

using our inside voices

hands are for helping not for hurting

taking care of books

working and watching without disturbing

and other things such as carrying chairs/scissors/equipment safely

has anyone got any other things that they would include when setting ground rules id be grateful for your suggestions x jojom x

They sound like great ground rules, we use the golden rules by jenny mosley, from the top of my head (may not be exactly correct!) - we are kind and gentle; we don't hurt people. We play well; we don't spoil others games & we look after property. We tell the truth; we don't tell lies. We follow instructions first time. We tend to focus on the positive parts and thats what we display e.g. we are kind and gentle. We then take photos displaying positive behaviours.

kat x

I've involved children in the past and have found that as they have set the rules they are more inclined to follow them and almost 'police' other children who break the rules.

There is somethimes a danger of adults imposing rules on children, which I'm not suggesting that you are, but children feel a sense of ownership if they are consulted on matters such as this.

Saying all of that, you could include or suggest one about 'bottoms are for sitting still' or similar to discourage wriggling and fidgeting children!

We have made 'Happy Bottom ' mats from sugar paper with a big smiley face and the sign for 'sit', laminated, placed around the area we are going to be sitting in. Works well, except when some don't like the colours left!! :o

Sue

Absolutely have these discussions with the children. You may be surprised at what they come up with. Our Golden Rules are set after discussion with the children each year and that seems to work well. They may need a little guidance and prompting but I always find they come up with a comprehensive and well thought out set of rules. :)

i plan to discuss/chat with the children proir to our rules being set but it helps to give them some pointers and see what we come up with from there. we played a lot of games last week in preparation for this we played an excuse me game a silence game a thankyou game and a tip toe game amongst others they loved these i want to extend on the games and creative work from last week and maybe extend on that.

We like the 'don't touch anyone else' for on the carpet. Stops the more enthusiastic smothering the less confident and those that try and sit too close to the most popular child. We reinforce that it is nice to ask if you can sit very close to someone, works for me - found another nit today! aargh! the rest of the ground rules sound great.

Liz x

At the moment we have Listening Ears

Looking Eyes

Quiet Mouths

Gentle Hands

Walking Feet

...each is illustrated with a simple drawing...... its working well so far...

Thanks Hali...I hope that was meant for me............. :o

I find them really useful for assertive discipline.. I hope Mr Ofsted likes them on Wednesday..

Thanks Hali...I hope that was meant for me............. xD

I find them really useful for assertive discipline.. I hope Mr Ofsted likes them on Wednesday..

• 7 years later...

Hi there,

Has any one introduced a set of visual reminders for children that staff wear around their neck (or clip on) to remind children when they do something they shouldn't be? For example a set of cards with visuals of "walk/no running", "no shouting" etc.

How well does it work? Were your staff receptive to the idea?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)