Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

High Frequency Words

does anyone have a list of these already typed out on computer please?

also how do people teach these? I am working with severe special needs and feel that it is not appropriate with most of my class but there are a few that I think could learn them. do other people just show 1 a day and keep going on it telling the children what it says??

thanks for your help

Jo

In my R/Y1 class (not particularly high level reading Y1s this year) we are refreshing the 45 words with Y1 this term by reintroducing 10+ words every 2 weeks and puttign them onto our word wall. the words are actually comercially bought carerpillar ones, and we stick on other plastic bugs and grass to make it a bit more interesting!

I did order the words, I think it may be from the Primary Plan website, which were emailed to meand then can be printed and laminates easily.

With reception we choose the words that go well together to make sentences and get the children more familiar with them through lotto games, activities on the whiteboard (If you have Promethean I have a game for that I could attach-there are also others that cna be downloaded from the Prometheanworld website that are good).

We send the words home with some of the children, in the form of words teddies, buses, etc. but this year we may use the caterpilallar theme. They can then colour in when they know them, match them with word in books, or with other cards. Some take off very quickly, and almost 'eat up' the words, whereas others aren't interested or ready at all so we go at a much slower pace for them. Maybe a couple of words to focus on in various situations until they are familiar with them.

we use something called Bear words. Produced by two teachers in Notts and they do have a website www.bearwords.com

They introduce the words so that you can build sentences and you can buy all the resources - we got ours free. The words are on different coloured Bears and that helps the kids work them out - its on the blue bears foot etc and they like the bears

But it is all done for you and their new resources I think are already laminated.

Jo

Do you know that the HFW lists have been modified with Playing With Sounds? Just in case :o

Another one is titled "Starwriter High-Frequency Words" but you will find it via the Internet.

45_Keyword_say_and_spell.ppt

45_Keyword_sight_onlyl.ppt

Easter_HFW.doc

HFW_GAMES.doc

HFW_ideas.pdf

Reception_High_Frequency_Words.pdf

Key_words_with_sounds.ppt

Reception_High_Frequency_Words__colour_.pdf

Best wishes!

Thanks for the links SmileyPR and Marion...can these be accessed via an interactive whiteboard too on any school network. I didn't realise the changes, is it just the order of introducing words that's different?

[quote name=SmileyPR'

Another one is titled "Starwriter High-Frequency Words" but you will find it via the Internet.

Ooh yes, my class loved this last year. You can find it here

Scholastic do a great book called not-surprisingly 'High frequency words' and it contains mini-books you can make that have the different words in the books to focus on. I use it for a class and group situation. There are also work sheets if that is your thing :o but they give me ideas of different activities. We tend to make 'special books' for the children to take home in their reading folders and share throughout the year, adding pages as we tackle more and more words. Seems to work quite well. :D

Liz x

Thanks for the links SmileyPR and Marion...can these be accessed via an interactive whiteboard too on any school network. I didn't realise the changes, is it just the order of introducing words that's different?

Action Words now produce a Cd

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)