Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

Hi all

can you give me an honest answer please :(

What is involved in doing the Early Years Foundation Degree?

I run my own pre-school, but worry i might not manage the work load of both work and study.

People say you will be fine as long as you are organised, thats the trouble, i'm a 'leave it to the last minute' sort of person :o suppose i could be strict with myself xD

Any chance someone could give me a rough idea of the modules and what they are about etc

Cheers

Jo

Guest cathy m

Hi Jo

I can only tell you of my experience with the OU, I will be starting my final course next month. It's worked for me because I'm a full time childminder so it had to be distance learning. 240 points are required and 4 of the coursees are mandatory and then another optional course of 60 points is chosen.

E123 Working with children in the early years

E124 Supporting children's learning

Both of these courses equate to 60 points and together become the Certificate in Early Years Practice which is a level 4.

have a look on their website to find out more about the foundation degree

www.open.ac.uk

Good luck

Cathy

I think we all feel a bit like that, I asked the forum what they all thought when I was thinking of it and now I start next week, I sort of thought if I don't at least try to do it then I will always wonder, come on join us mad lot, :D:D

(By the way I co-manage a preschool, I have 5 children, 3 horses, 2 dogs and a demanding husband, so my study will be MY time, that's how I thought I would look at it)

I will be using the forum for support, it has been fantastic so far with my queries, it is a lifeline. :D

Edited by Guest

I think i might go for it, :D then again i might not :o even saying i'm going to do it fills me with dread. xD:(

I did do the first year of the Foundation Degree for Teaching Assistants (when i worked in a school) but didn't complete because of change of job, and to be honest i didn't find it that interesting and relevant to what i'm doing now.

I wanted to do the Early Years one but the college couldn't offer it at the time ( approx 3 years ago)

Maybe i'll take the plunge... i can always drive everyone mad on here for help :wacko:

ANDREAMAY: why don't you take the plunge with me. we can be 'internet study pals' :(

SHIREL: good luck with your study, watch this space, cause if i do it i will drive you mad too!! :(

CATHY: thanks for advice will check it out.

I'll let you know if i enroll xD

Jo

ok Jo,

who are you thinking of doing it with?

I would probably go with OU.I have our surestart advisor coming next week to chat about the transformation fund.

I will make a decision next weekend!!!! :o:( :wacko: :(

ok Jo,

who are you thinking of doing it with?

I would probably go with OU.I have our surestart advisor coming next week to chat about the transformation fund.

I will make a decision next weekend!!!! xDxD :rolleyes: :(

sorry wasnt me computer went a bit mad!!!

Andrea

I started the Foundation Degree in 2003 and have been slowly doing courses as part of it with the OU ever since! I feel that it has been an interesting and rewarding experience so far. I have achieved level 4 with the Certificate in Early Years Practice for doing E123 and E124 and am now finishing my final bit on E 115. I then start the last leg E125 in October to finish the Degree next June, I can't wait! I have gained a good job with the level 4 bit and hope to be able to achieve more once I'm qualified, level 5.

It is hard work and you have to be self disciplined and have an understanding and supportive family. It also keeps you up to date and your brain alive!!

Teri

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started my second year on the FD and would recommend that you go for it!

I'm doing it at my local college (through Reading University) and have learned as much from the other students as I have from the tutors.

As Hali said, the modules aren't too bad - more often than not it's finding the time to get them done which is the problem. It is a commitment and there will be times when all you can do is fall into a glass of chardonnay and eat your own body-weight in biscuits but it is only 2 years and you'll get lots of support from both college staff and other students.

Go for it!!

Well done Jo, and Miss Behaving sounds like the bad times can be quite rewarding as well, I choose chocolate Hobnobs and red wine!!

My second proper session today, up at 5 am, horses done, children about to be left with my mum and I should just about make the bus, its all such a life change, really exciting, keep us informed about how your getting on! :D

Well done Jo! I was a bit like you; really up for doing it and then the closer it got to the enrolment day, the more frightened I was! I went to enrol last night and even though I had been offered a place and accepted it, I still had to go through an interview, which was totally unexpected. I was really nervous and had second thoughts the whole way through.

Then I got over that and decided to just do it! I'd been waiting for ages to actually get there and decided I was being silly.

3 and a half hours later and I'm the last one there. I brought all the relevant paperwork etc and was finally told that I couldn't enrol because I didn't have a headed letter from local authority saying that they were going to pay for the course from the trans. fund. :(

So I have to go to the LA today and get this letter, providing the woman will write it for me, and take it back over the college. Plus take Natalie to the dentist and go to work. I've got a feeling this is the shape of things to come!

All the paperwork is signed though, and I got quite nervous when I had to fill in all the Roehampton Uni paperwork. It felt like big girl's stuff, and I quickly retreated into "I want my mummy" syndrome :oxD !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)