Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Activity Cards

I am in the process of supporting a setting that has received an Inadequate Ofsted, with one of the areas being planning. The report said that the session seemed unstructured and whilst the care was of a good standard, more planning would make learning experiences more effective.

The setting is a creche which is only run for six weeks at a time for 2 hours whilst adult education classes are going on, with staff that are not attached to the centre and come in as 'bank staff'. So I have a bit of a problem - who has the responsibility for planning - the staff or the centre (who have limited early years childcare experience)

I have created some activity cards that are going to be laminated and put in the relevant areas, so thought that as I was working my way through them I could share them with you and welcome any feedback.

Construction.docCreative_1.docMalleable.doc

They do seem very simplistic, but the staff tend to be young and newly qualified with little practical experience, so I am trying to pitch the cards at an appropriate level and show the staff how easy activities are to implement.

HI

I think those cards are fab!, and i think they will be useful for the seting you talk about, but i also think they may be useful for students entering a setting that is established and confident (in terms of planning) but would like to involve students on a level without having to explain the whole FS and BT3.

very useful!

Dawn

I think they're great RB, we have an Activity Folder at our setting in case of bank cover and it's a similar kind of thing: activity's are set out simply on the sheet and materials, methods, health and safety and outcomes are mentioned just so anyone unfamiliar with the running of the setting can easily look up the proposed aims and gather resources that correpsond with the plans for the day.

I think these are a good idea for experienced staff as well. It helps to remind us of looking at other ways we can use resources. You've now given me another idea I can introduce at pre-school - if you can think of a way of creating another 8 hours in the day for us to implement all of the excellent ideas on this site then I would greatly appreciate it :o .

I'm glad that you think they would be useful - it actually made me think about the areas of practice whilst writing them, especially as I am not a front line practitioner anymore.

Here are a few more...

Outdoor.docSinging_time.docStory_time.doc

Oh, and feel free to use them or amend them for your own settings if you wish - I'll be after you if you appear on the next series of Dragon's Den with them though!!

hi need help when trying to download these the page is blank.

what am i doing wrong!

usually things just open, still after the week ive had im not surprised :o

can anyone help

Thanks Running Bunny :D ,

I've made Activity plan cards before but not as good, so yours will be very useful. I display mine on the table or nearby unit with a clear plastic holder ( like menu holders in restaurants.

You can get them from

HERE

May seem expensive, but last for ages and enables the info to be seen clearly without taking up table space.

Peggy

Thank you for sharing these. I'm working in a newly set up day nursery and these will help us very much.

When setting up work stations from scratch, with little or no base resources, and so many areas to think of (and so little money!), it is easy to forget to add the important little extras such as the laminated pictures/photos of builders/buildings to support the construction work shop - I know a little boy who is going to love those so much - I just need to get my hands on a digital camera now! So thanks again.

They look great Running Bunny - thanks. We get lots of students in who are just beginning their NVQ - these are so simple to follow and will help them loads. :D

Harricroft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)