Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Taking The...

I am very cross. So cross that this should really be written in bright red and capital letters. I have just found out today that the Y1 class (a job share) have completely ignored our heated discussions last year and the transition policy that was written about how the transition between YR and Y1 should be managed. This is a summary of the PLAY (don't make me laugh!) activities that the Y1 children have had today - THEIR FIRST DAY IN Y1:

* sand

*a zoo set

Their other jobs, which the teachers are describing as play are:

* cutting holiday pictures out of a catalogue (AARGH!)

* ordering number cards

* access to books - DEAR GOD ARE THEY MEANT TO BE GRATEFUL FOR THAT?

* number puzzles

* building a tower of multilink that corresponds to a number card

As if that wasn't bad enough these activities were delivered in a CAROUSEL of activities with the teacher dictating, BY MEANS OF A BELL, when it was time to change. The morning was split up into literacy and numeracy sessions (WHY?) AND, to add insult to injury they will have the same activities out tomorrow.

What makes it even worse is they haven't asked me about it (I'm the Foundation stage/KS1 co-ordinator - I kept that quiet didn't I?!) but have just done it because they didn't like the way they had to work last year and like to do 'work' with the children and move them on! What the b***** hell do they think I do all day for a year?

I am not at all happy and we're going to have a big meeting to sort it out. Do you think me shouting and banging my fists on the table is a good way forward? - only kidding!

Is it me? This isn't transition isn't it? How do they expect children to go from a play-based curriculum where children choose what they do and are allowed to flit or stay and get engrossed as they see fit (according to their age, sex, stage of development, mood on the day etc) into a 'sit down and do this' even if you don't like it situation. Even worse - what if they're really engrossed and are then told that they've got to leave it because their time on the activity is finished?

Bad-mindedly I put this mindset down to the fact that they've been in Y1 for YEARS, churning out the same worksheet based activities and don't understand that, for children, playing is their work BUT we talked about this last year and I showed them the FSP/Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage (have they read it? - hah!) and talked about the importance of transition and the high profile that it currently has.

I know that children do need to move into a KS1 way of working but that is less of an issue in our school because of our Creative Curriculum. There's another issue there but don't get me started on that...

My head is being good and saying that it's not on and it needs to be sorted out but...

What I want to know is...is it me? If it is I may as well go and work in Tesco's.

Even though I've typed this all out I haven't fully managed to vent the vastness of my anger. I'm very sorry if I've frightened anyone (or, alternatively, managed to bore them to death) with the tirade but I need advice.

Your anger comes across pretty well to me Moose. I'm in a nursery and completely understand when something you know to be right isnt done because 'we've never done it that way'. You go right ahead and rant and rave as much as you want, but please dont move to Tesco's, I'd hate to think of any of the children I've worked with being in an environment like that, sounds like yours need you to fight their corner for them. Good luck :D:D

I'm actually giggling at the thought of a bell to end activities, what decade are these people in? :o

Hi Moose, I'm so sorry but that has made me chuckle. I can just imagine that going down well with you!

You are right as you know you are but I think you may have a hard task getting things changed. I cant see how you can do that without supervising the planning very closely both in its preparation and in its delivery.

The children who have just come from your classroom will soon be creating havoc in that environment! I cant bear to work in that sort of dictated fashion but perhaps my classroom always looks like chaos!

Good luck and if I hear shouting tomorrow I shall know

where and what it is!!!!

Moose as a parent I would not be happy for my child to be in that sort of environment, my son is a year 1 and he would explode in that sort of situation after a while.. you have to keep fighting for the children's sake, Tesco need to recruit the dinosaurs your up against.!!

You sound passionate, focused and driven about what you believe in - don't let anyone take that away from you.

Edited by Guest

The description of the childrens day reminded me of a piece I read once about a factory production line of childrens learning being manufactured on a conveyer belt, measuring productivity - it was written by a well known early years author, who's name evades me. ( anyone else know this piece?)

"Shout and bang your fists on the table", no, I agree much too subtle for Dinasaurs. :(

I seriously suggest that when you have your meeting, you take along their whistle. Ask them how the planning meets the principles of the FSC, every time someone is 'talking their talk' stop their flow with a blow ( of the whistle) then tell them they have to change the direction of the discussion altogether at this point. You may have to do this quite a few times. if this doesn't get the message across then take the whistle into the staff room and interupt their 'free play', tell them they have to follow the same rules they gave the children- on each blow of the whistle, they have to stop talking and completely change their topic of conversation, put the magazine they are reading down straight away and do something different ( what doyou do in the staff room?) or if they are drinking tea, throw it away and start drinking coffee. Will this get through to them, it would after a whole week, :(:( then remind them the poor children have to have a whole year of it UNLESS THEY MAKE CHANGES NOW. :oxD

good luck,

Peggy

Loving Peggys reply :o and totally agreeing with everyone else. Your passion for the children is your trump card, we probably have all come against dinosaurs at some point and probably will again, but they became extinct once before it's just a matter of time before they do again.

Karrie

Peggy that is a cracking suggestion! Are you brav enough Moose!! I oo have been pulling my hair out - at playtime today i had 6 of my old reception class now year 1's come up to me in tears because they had been sat at a table all morning and for the first afternoon session working. When i tactfully asked the year 1 teacher wha they had been doing it included spelling tests, mental maths and worst of all dictation!!! It's truly heart breaking

Oh my god Lola! What a nightmare! Seriously Moose I was in a similar situation to you last year, as FS and KS1 co-ord and Rec teacher had to explain transition to my new NQT year 1 teacher and she panicked because they 'wouldn't get on well enough if they didn't knuckle down' right at the beginning. Had to reinforce that they wouldn't produce anything until they were ready and that CIP and teacher encouraged activities were the way forward to more confident children etc. It is a struggle and one that I noticed today needs re-inforcing - just seen the Y1 timetable this year and may need to remind them about a few things! You are not alone in ranting mate. :o

Liz x

Thank you everyone, once again, for being so great. I'm glad that it's not just me!

Our meeting is on Monday when both the Y1 teachers are in. I do feel nervous about it - we don't 'get on' and this situation is hardly likely to help matters! I think that they don't like the way they're being asked to work and resent having to do it 'my way'. What they have failed to realise, despite being given the 'Continuing the Learning Journey' materials last year (currently gathering dust, unopened, somewhere I suspect although I've asked them to find it and bring it along to the meeting) is that it's not about doing it 'my' way but following the guidelines of good practice that have been devised by experts who, presumably, know better than us.

My absolute bottom line is that the bell and any sense of children's time being rationed needs to go: activities must be free flow. Also, children must be provided with a wide range of genuine, rich play opportunities daily. This way of working must be maintained throughout the first term. During term 2 then routines etc may be gradually phased in. I also intend to take in the NFER study regarding the transition process and highlight that what they are being asked to do is in line with good practice nationally and is in the best interests of the children. I feel really tempted to ask them to 'prove', by means of research, what their rationale is for working in their current way.

What do you think? I am still very cross but this is now mixed with trepidation and wondering how many years you'd get for bludgeoning someone with the Curriculum Guidance :o.

Hi, I am doing my GTP with a teacher who has worked in a particular way for many years, she sees the benefits of a play based curriculum but I think is scared to take the plunge. We have visited other key practitioners to see it 'in action' which made her realise it is possible. Could this be an option for your ladies?

Have you seen Meeting the Challenge by Clare Shaw and Elaine Dupree? It is a practical approach to the transition and is based upon challenges the children are enouraged to do within practical activities that are linked to the National curriculum. They cover each subject, are differentiated and cover the whole year. Their aim is to provide a link and build upon the FS whilst extending children and encouraging their creative thinking. You may find this helps these year 1 teachers see it is possible to have fun and follow the curriculum in a practical way, whilst still covering the learning objectives.

We are using this and the children are really enjoying it.

Good Luck!

Sharon

Thanks for your reply, Sharon. I'd be a happy woman if my Y1 colleagues could see the benefits of play but they don't - one of them in particular. They think that playing is a waste of time and that children don't make progress unless they're sitting down and produce an end product. I've had a look, via Amazon, at the book you've recommended and intend to suggest that they may find it useful to look at this along with the 'Smooth Transitions' and 'Making it Work in Y1' books that have been recommended by others on this site.

What do you think? I am still very cross but this is now mixed with trepidation and wondering how many years you'd get for bludgeoning someone with the Curriculum Guidance :o.

At least you haven't lost your sense of humour (I hope xD ). Good luck for Monday. :(

I've had such a chuckle reading the comments on this topic. :o

I think dinosaurs are a little bit like leopards - they don't change their spots. During the summer break we completely changed the room layout in pre-school and changed the daily routine - something myself and other members of staff have been wanting to do for ages but our ex-supervisor, who had worked at pre-school for fifteen years, was adament had been tried before and doesn't work. Well guess what......................it HAS WORKED! I would love the opportunity to show her the improvements we have made and see how much more relaxed and happy the children are in the new environment.

Good luck Moose on Monday!

They're getting rid of the bell and are having free-flow activities. They're also having more open-ended, play-based activities. I should be glad but they do everything with such sour expressions and expressions of doubt... :o

ahhhh, give them a smiley sticker for at least trying :) , there's another idea, have a behaviour reward chart (for the teachers) on the staff room wall. Each time they 'let go' of a past 'habit' they get a sticker. The end of term reward is...............a classroom of very happy, settled, relaxed, motivated, learning, teachers, oops I mean children :D:D:D

Peggy

Is it allowed to be a smile through gritted teeth?! :o

oh yes, but sincerely of course xD ( as Hughie Green would say, really showing my age now, didn't realise I had remembered him until now)

Peggy