Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff

Can i please have a rant.

I have spent 2 days interviewing women/girls for a job as my Senco. I had one that was so nervous and young she nearly cried, as it was her first interview. 2 that have NVQ 2's that didn't know what the foundation stage was or the national standards. and one that was a GRADUATE but no experience in child care. are there no people out there with proper qualifications!!!!!!!!!!!

Urgh it was so frustrating. I have taken on a young 20 year old on a trial and after 3 days have decided that hse will have to go as she kept listening to every one elses conversations. have now found out that it was a problem at her old place as well.

I had employed a new seco during the holidays and she TEXT me at 6.30pm on Sunday evening to say that she didn't feel that the job was for her. she hoped that i understood!!!!!! :oxD It turns out her husband has been transfered with his job.

It is so tiring and frustrating at the beginning of the term when we are so busy.

Right I feel better now and am going to finishing watching Emerdale to see what happened in the kitchen with the accident.

hopefully tomorrow will be better. i have two coming back to see what they can actually do with the children for a session.

oh i do feel for you, it is soo frustrating isnt it...... :o

we have one month to find a chairperson now as out last one resigned, if a parent doesnt come up...no more pre school!!!! xD

chin up...it will sort itself out in the end :D

Hi

I do feel sorry for you, i hope it turns out ok. Our SENCO left in july so it looks like i will be taking on the role along with all my other roles, mainly because we have been told they have to be NVQ3 qualified, and most of my staff are level 2. the ones that have the 3 do not wish to do it. Committee run pre-schools are so difficult as we need to have those willing parents to take on the roles involved in the committee, most of them haven't a clue what is involved and just don't want the responsibility. I do feel for you... hope it sorts itself out. Good luck

Steph, you just rant away, what did happen in the emmerdale kitchen???? No, I don't really want to know. I also thought SENCO should be level 3, not sure if that's guidance or actually written in the standards ( well at least i know about there being standards, just don't know them off by heart yet after ???years :( ).

I'm sure you've heard about the F.Degree person I employed once who didn't know how to do observations xD , so know where you are coming from. God help us ( the children and staff) when all the graduates ( with little experience) take on all the leadership roles in the future, under the EYPS plans.

Do we now need to add to our employment contracts that resignations (or withdrawal of offer of employment) will not be accepted in text form, or any form other than in writing. :(

Have you looked at your current staff to take on this role?, I'm sure you have but thought I'd ask anyway.

Maybe you could ask your area Senco to take part in the interviews, then when there is no suitable person at least they can verify that you have tried, should the lack of a senco be held against you, (Ofsted etc) covers your back until you find someone sutable.

good luck, hope you feel better now.

Peggy

p.s. can't wait to hear what the other applicants do with the children :(:o :wacko:

just to let you all know I had 3 of the ladies come back in to be with the staff for a couple of mornings. The graduate turned out to be very bossy and made them all feel inferior. but the other 2 were nice. The young lady I took on during the holidays has turned out to be a typical "teenager" even though she isn't. started weel on monday got slower on tuesday had a bad back by wednesday moaned on thursday and asked for holiday time during the term on friday xD:D:o So all I can say to that is thank goodness for probationary periods. We had a staff meeting at the pub on friday and I now have 5 staff going onto their NVQ 3's and 2 leaders doing their Degree with me. so all good things come out of a strange week. very good one though as the team seems to have jelled into to a great bunch of ladies who all want to go in the same direction with the pre-school, so I'm feeling very pleased for our second week.

Night all

Steph

just to let evey one know I rang the NDNA today to find out about the EYPS and woudl your believe the girl on the phone didn't know what it was bless her she thought it was a meeting that I was enquiring about. also the University at Southampton are meant to be doing it but again no one knew anything about it. Its all those graduates floating around have so clouded everthing that no one knows whats going on (sorry to all those graduates out there, but they do love to harp on about how the rest of us aren't good enough unless we have degrees, which weren't around in my days for the everyday classes on people)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)