Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Target Setting

We have been looking at different ways in which we can set targets for our children. Here are some ideas, what do you think??

#3 targets set every term and reveiwed every 1/2 term, modified or adapted to suit ongoing needs , however we thought it may be better to do 2 every 1/2 term making them more mangable.

OR

# Take PSE, CLL, MD one term and target set, then the following term KUW CD and PD.

As we have so many Children in on different days, not always with their key worker targets are not being achieved as not all staff know who is where and what their target may be, I think i am waffling SORRY! Hope that makes sense

HI

This is the kind of planning that we have pulled away from in some levels. We found with target setting around the six areas of FS we were getting to tied up with identifying set targets, Ie say one week we decided that the target was PSE and CD we would only seem to be focusing on those two targets, and as such missing loads.

We thought about it and realised that most activities/experiences provide the children with opportunities to develop more than one area of the FS at any one time so now we look broadly at the FS.

We no longer target set as such, we do a planned activity daily which will highlight ALL the areas of the FS that the activity will allow the children to explore. We then observe and evaluate the activity.

~ sorry that really didn't answer your question, but wanted to explain how we do it.... im not sure if our way is 'right', i know our early years advisor thought it was and it seems to work for us, but ofsted haven't okay'd it yet.

Dawn

I absolutely agree with you Dawn. I have always thought thast the Foundation stage Curriculum stepping stones are descriptions of how children naturally progress (given the right opportuniities and experiences, of course) rather than a teaching programme. I see our role as providing rich play experiences in a stimulating environment with clear expecrtations of behaviour, not teaching them 'colours' or 'sharing' in one particular week or month.

I agree with previous comments too, children learn in an Holistic manner, at different levels, at different time. Observation and noticing any given childs achievements and interests informs planning. We focus on aspects rather than stepping stones but just have them in mind to introduce variuos concepts during continuous provision play and to inform adult initiated activities.

We use the childs interests to decide the method for introducing a new concept. for example one of our children has just become a 'big' brother, we will note down comments he makes over the next few days ( baby came home today, so he doesn't know yet what it actually means to him).

Our focus this week is PSE Aspects 1 & 2, which fits in with a new term. In this individual child case the support will not be so much about settling in to preschool ( he's been with us 2 yrs) but about supporting him to "have a positive approach to his new experience".

Peggy

Our accreditation Scheme tells us we should set targets for each child, but we are getting in a pickle so many different target, 40 children on role times 3 targets each, children in on different days????????????? Although some childrens targets are the same. sorry still none the wiser :o

Our accreditation Scheme tells us we should set targets for each child, but we are getting in a pickle so many different target, 40 children on role times 3 targets each, children in on different days????????????? Although some childrens targets are the same. sorry still none the wiser :wacko:

I would have a word with your mentor ( if you have one :o ) or contact the administrators/ tutors from your accreditation scheme. if they are asking for 3 targets per child per period of time that equates to 120 targets???????? xD:(:(:(

Ask how they interpret this criteria? Do you have a keyworker system? This should reduce the workload. How many staff do you have? Just from the stance of a ratio of 1-8, each keyworker observes 4 children one week, sets targets informed by the observations, supports these targets over a realistic period of time ( ie: settling in would be at least two weeks) then observes 4 different children the following week, sets targets informed by the observations, supports these targets. In other words each keyworker plans their own rolling programme of observation, assessment and target setting ( which includes childrens current interests and level of development) over the term. I say the keyworker should plan it because it is easier for them to know what days they are in when which children are in - if one person does all this planning she will be spending hours checking on rota's who's in when.

One person would take 10 weeks to observe all 40 children at 4 a week, so obviously with more staff involved, the time scale to cover all children would be shorter.

Another more child centred approach would be to have as the aim of the observations to assess what targets the children are setting themselves. This would take careful analysis of the observations but is possible because children do set their own targets every single day. For example one of the boys in my preschool today, went to the 'office' area, 'wrote' on some paper, then tried to fit it into an envelope, the paper was too big and he didn't know how to fold it. He set himself the target of fitting the paper into the envelope. he went to the art area, got some scissors, walked back to the office ( saying " must sit down with scissors, must sit down with scissors - he was praised for this because he remebered this rule from summer term) ) then he proceeded to cut the paper into tiny peices to put in the envelope. :D

He set two targets to practice - safety with scissors and fitting large items into small spaces. so the target plans for him would be to

Target 1/ learn how to hold scissors safely whilst walking with them, or to consider taking his paper and envelope to the art area where the scissors are kept.

Target 2/ learn how to fold paper to fit into envelopes, and lots of other 'fitting' activities.

This particular observation took all of 5 minutes, then another 2 minutes to jot down in our planning book (blank pages for next week) his targets in the days he attends next week. then another 2 minutes writing his problem solving skills in his achievement file.

Does this help???

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)