Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Local Library

I'm fairly new to the forum and I might be trying to teach how to suck eggs, but today I signed up our Pre-School for it's own library card. I was at the library with my own children and was talking to one of the librarians when she asked if we had one. Not all Pre-Schools/Nurseries are entitled to them but if you are, they well worth getting. You can take out up to 30 books for up to six weeks. Our Pre-School has a huge selection of books from which the children can borrow from as they want, but I find the 'perfect' book you want to read for storytime is always out and about! As we're doing colours this term I've been able to select a wide variety of books for the interest table and storytime.

I think child-minders can sign up for this as well.

Karrie

I agree Karrie.

Local libraries are a great and valuable assett to nurseries/schools/pre-schools. I joined up my last pre-school and we would take groups of children up there to choose books for the pre-school and also for story times, rhyme times etc.

These visits would also provide a well earned peace break in the middle of very hectic days! :o

We couldnt have a computer at playgroup but the library let us take the children on a Wednesday when they are shut to the public so we could use theirs. :D They were always really good about books we couldnt return, usually because a parent hadnt returnes it and never would. Apparently they couldnt issue a fine to a community card. :D

Stockport has withdrawn the library service it used to provide to pre-schools and day nurseries. They would send out a member of staff about once a half term, they would read to the children and bring us a box of books. We now have to pay for borrowing books from the school library service!

Linda

That's a shame Linda.

We used to have a librarian come out to us with the books and do story time once a month and the children loved it. I think they got bored with the same books, and the same voices :o

That's a real shame Linda(I used to teach in Stockport).

Here we have a library at the school run by a librarian from the town library which is very handy. The librarian also reads stories to my nursery and we don't have to leave the building to get there - we go at least once a week. Also excellent for getting topic related books very quickly.

Megsmum

In our setting we take a small group of pre-schoolers every Tuesday in term time to the local library, which they love!! The Librarian offered to visit the Nursery once a month to do a Storytime with the Toddlers as they're too young to take out, she is Brilliant!!

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)