Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted - Room Changes

I am in a nursery with a 0 to 2s room, a 2 to 3s room, and a 3 to 5s room.

The 0 to 2s room has a group of children that are 20 months and over, and are ready for the move up.

I have heard about settings that look at individual children, and if the staff team feel that they are ready to move up, and would benefit from the opportunity of mixing with the older children; exploring the environment and activities that are on offer; and the increased opportunity to progress with their milestones - then Ofsted have allowed them to move these children up early, provided they can demonstrate that they are able to provide appropriately for them, and that the necessary staff ratios are still adhered to.

Has any one else done this or heard of this?

Guest cathy m

Sorry can't help really, I'm a childminder so we have mixed ages constantly, it's never a problem. I can never understand why separate rooms for different ages are needed, we don't separate siblings from playing with each other so why separate different ages? The learning opportunities and social interactions are wonderful it helps older children to understand needs of younger ones and gives them some responsibilities, helping, sharing etc.

Cathy

I've just drafted a cracking letter to Ofsted with my reasoning, and have explained how we would meet the needs of these children.

Fingers crossed!

Hi.

We have never had to clear it with Ofsted and have been inspected when there where a few children aged between 21-23 months in the 2-3 room. She didn't question it at all and was pleased that children were able to move up when they needed to and it also shows that you are taking individual needs into consideration. The one thing we had to take on board is that the ratios are different for that age group so where it is normally 1-4 in 2-3's we had to maintain the 1-3 ratio for all the under 2's in the room at the time.

Hope all that makes sense

Hi.

We have never had to clear it with Ofsted and have been inspected when there where a few children aged between 21-23 months in the 2-3 room. She didn't question it at all and was pleased that children were able to move up when they needed to and it also shows that you are taking individual needs into consideration. The one thing we had to take on board is that the ratios are different for that age group so where it is normally 1-4 in 2-3's we had to maintain the 1-3 ratio for all the under 2's in the room at the time.

Hope all that makes sense

Olly500 - that is very exciting indeed!! And now that you've highlighted it - the National Standards set the ratios for 0 to 2s, 2 to 3s and 3 to 5s, but they do not state that children need to be cared for in those age groups - only that you need to provide age and stage appropriate environments, care, etc.

• 1 month later...

I sent the letter off to Ofsted anyway (as I was so pleased with it!!), and they rang today saying that they were confident that we could manage the changes, from the detail I had gone into in the letter!!

Just a quick question to those of you who do this already - how does it affect your registration?, e.g. can you only have the same amount of under 2s still? I am wanting to move some children up early:

a) because they are ready and I believe it will benefit them greatly;

:o it will condense the age range in the baby room more;

c) we have a demand for baby spaces, and moving children up early will free up more spaces - however - if the registration says you can only have (8) children under 2 - surely this won't free up any spaces?

I hope I make some sense on point c) ??

I sent the letter off to Ofsted anyway (as I was so pleased with it!!), and they rang today saying that they were confident that we could manage the changes, from the detail I had gone into in the letter!!

Just a quick question to those of you who do this already - how does it affect your registration?, e.g. can you only have the same amount of under 2s still? I am wanting to move some children up early:

a) because they are ready and I believe it will benefit them greatly;

xD it will condense the age range in the baby room more;

c) we have a demand for baby spaces, and moving children up early will free up more spaces - however - if the registration says you can only have (8) children under 2 - surely this won't free up any spaces?

I hope I make some sense on point c) ??

1/ Obviously your best work is done on a Saturday :o

2/ The best people to answer your question are Ofsted, so diary date: Saturday 7th Oct: Write another letter to Ofsted asking for a change to registration details. ( you may have to ring them on Friday, THEY DON'T WORK SATURDAYS hee, hee, to ask if they have a specific form)

Good luck :D

Peggy

Guest cathy m

I understand what you are saying about ratios as a childminder my registration certificate said no more than 3 under 5 of which only 1 can be under 12 months and no more than 6 under 8.

Earlier in the year I was approached by a parent with a 4 month old, at the time I still had 1 baby at 9 mths so i applied for a change to registration. My certificate now states no more than 3 under 5 but also gives permission for 2 under 12 months.

Hope that makes sense

Cathy

The number you are registered for is worked out according to the space you have available (see the standards) if you are not up to the maximum children for the space available, you could ask Ofsted for a variation on your registration to increase numbers.

Even if children are moving up, they still come under their age group for ratios (as already mentioned) and space allowance.

I'd check with your early years team in your authority as they may be able to come out and measure up for you?

Ofsted have agreed to alter our registration, meaning we can have 18 under 3's, and decide how many of these are under 2 ourselves.

I showed off a bit and added room measurements, etc, in my letter to them - proving that we were well within them (I think they liked that!!).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)