Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Which Way To Go...

Help I don't know which way to turn? :(:(

I have been looking into an alternative to the foundation degree but don't know which way to turn?

Option 1 NVQ 4 Children's Learning and Development - not a room leader or above yet.

Option 2 BETEC HNC/HND Advanced Practice in Working with Children and Families - courses at local colleges but need to be quick about it.

Option 3 Certificate in Early Years Practice with the OU next Feb - long time to wait.

Option 4 Do no further training, try to find a job at a senior level and wait until next year with Huddersfield University.

I need to make my desion quick as I have only til next friday to decide on which way to go as option 2 closes next week. :(:oxD

Thanks in advance

All I can suggest is that you write down the different considerations for each course, ie: study time required, access to support, cost, work commitments required, further career prospects linked to your personal professional development goals, how each one affects routes to higher qualifications, etc etc. Then write down your own personal pro's and con's for each type of study. Hopefully from that you will be able to make a decision- I think :o:(

Or go with your gut instinct xD:(:(

Not much help i know, but I personally find decisions are so difficult during holiday time :wacko:

Let us know what you decide. :D

peggy

Didnt you have some interviews lined up??

I have had an interview for the deputy preschool leader postion but will not know until fri 1 sept. My understanding of the job is possibly 3 days per week 9.00 till 3.30??

I have also discovered I cannot access the transformation fund at this time, but as I have had to sign on jobseekers I can claim free funding for the courses. :o

I have also conacted my old agency who may have some jobs lined up. Depending on the hours they could give me.

So I need to make my desion soon to sort out this long overdue mess I have got my self into. After 3 years of working in junior postions in childcare I feel that this may only be my only option to move up the career ladder in to a senior postion in childcare.

Sarah

Help I don't know which way to turn? :oxD

I have been looking into an alternative to the foundation degree but don't know which way to turn?

If you did the Cert in Early Years Practice with OU you would have a level 4 qualification and could use the points towards the FDegree. Also if you linked the Cert in Early Years from the beginning ou would also be eligible to apply for funding for the fdegree which would cover your costs for the first two years + a £500 bursary + the loan of a laptop and printer. Not sure how that works when in receipt of jobseekers allowance.

That sounds like a good idea Debbington, good luck Sarah it's all a bit of a tangle isn't it?

There almost seems too many options, good luck with what you choose, keep us all informed and we can all benefit from the comments and advice, I have a friend in a similar situation and have been telling her all about you, so she is also keen to know what you decide! :D

As always, great advice from Peggy! I agree that weighing up the pros and cons of each course will be a good way to decide on which way to go!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Guest DeborahF

At the risk of throwing a spanner in the works, have you heard anything about this new Early Years Professional Status (EYPS), a new award developed by the Children's Workforce Development Council. I've just received the prospectus for it and it looks quite interesting, although it is still in the very early stages - a pilot training scheme is starting this September I think.

If you want more details, have a look on the CWDC website - www.cwdcouncil.org.uk. There's a lot of discussion about the development of this award in all the professional mags at the moment, I think I read about it in Nursery Education this month.

Might be worth considering if you're not in a great hurry?!?!

Have you tried your local EYDCP to speak to their Training Officers -they may be able to point you in the right direction. I agree with Peggy- go with your instincts and doing something is always better than doing nothing. I am taking the NVQ4 route- time will only tell if this is the right path. My local EYDCP have just issued their training pack for next year and a wonderful university endorsed level 4 starting late Oct but only 20 places available on it. Yet college starts in 13 days time and have been told it is just about full- so if I pull out and chance my luck getting on it through EYDCP- what happens if they say sorry it is full? So I am sticking with the NVQ and just hope its OK.

At the risk of throwing a spanner in the works, have you heard anything about this new Early Years Professional Status (EYPS), a new award developed by the Children's Workforce Development Council. I've just received the prospectus for it and it looks quite interesting, although it is still in the very early stages - a pilot training scheme is starting this September I think.

If you want more details, have a look on the CWDC website - www.cwdcouncil.org.uk. There's a lot of discussion about the development of this award in all the professional mags at the moment, I think I read about it in Nursery Education this month.

Might be worth considering if you're not in a great hurry?!?!

The CWDC route to EYPS which starts in September is the pilot one and is only for people who already have a degree, information is available on their site for the other routes which will start in 2007. :D

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)