Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm A Camping Convert!

Just returned from my very first camping expedition! I was so reluctant when my husband recently pestered me,bought a tent and announced we were going camping for the bank holiday weekend with a couple of friends. When we arrived , it was raining of course, the site was behind a grotty looking house. The camping area was full of piles of bricks and logs , there was only one loo with a sink which had one tap..cold water, no showers! The rain continued during the night and at 5am the next morning a noisy cockerel woke us all up. The weather during the day was windy but fine but at night we had torrential downpours and last night we had the ultimate grand finale to our first camping trip...a thunderstorm!!! But do you know we have had the best fun, laughter and weekend we have had for ages!! It was our first weekend away with no children after nearly 20 years of marriage..........we have had such a great time and I have definitely been converted...if I can survive this much on my first trip, can't wait for the next one!! Only thing is I need to come back down to earth and think about venturing into work before next week, I've not been near the place since we broke up, first time I've done that ever so dreading to think what state I left the classroom in!!!

Guest MaryEMac

Glad you had a good time Kermit. We always went camping when our children were younger and always had a good time. People were friendly and the children found new friends.

One very windy day , camped on a hill in Beverly it was time to take down the tent. Unfortunately it was raining and blowing a gale. We had a large frame tent at the time and when we eventually got it packed away we got a round of applause from the people in a nearby caravan. Apparrently they had been taking bets as to whether we would get it packed away or whether it would blow away !! :o

I'm afraid as I have got older I require a comfortable bed and breakfast provided when I go away. xD

Mary

That reminds me of many occasions!!

The best though was one EXTREMELY windy weekend in Cornwall, a young family were trying to put their tent up, but children were so young, Mum really needed to be watching them. They were really struggling, so my husband and children ran over to help while I minded the two little boys. Everyone had great fun and the younger couple finally got their holiday started!!

Sue

Glad you enjoyed it, we have just returned from a weekend in a field in the middle of nowhere, driving up a huge field on a hill to camp, we had the best time, camp fires, rope swings, dog walks, barbeques, and loads of laughs, we went with friends and their children, the children absolutely loved it, the freedom they could just run off into the woods and be in sight of us, we could let them roam safely and relax a bit, I love camping, we had loads of rain but it didn't make a bit of difference and my long suffering back is better than ever having slept on the floor!! :)

oh Kermit that did make me laugh..... my hubby has been trying to convert me for 3 years now (given up now - trying the canal boat route).. 1st year France september euro camp poured with rain all week......2nd year Alton towers poured down all the time one shower no hot water) 3rd year France euro camp rained all week..........................but having said that 4th yrear wentto florida...,rained a lot (but it was hot rain..... made all the difference) :D:D:D:D:D

Well done Kermit!

I have been married for 32 years spent first 18 years camping in a tent often full of children my 3 plus family and friends then moved to the comfort of a beautiful caravan.

we then had to sell our caravan much to our dismay and decided to start camping again.

we our having the time of our life! We have never slept better, I thought my husband would need a crane to get me off the floor in the morning. Suddenly I feel I have lost some of the aches and pains I have suffered for the last few years.

We have just been to Norfolk and had the worst rainfall you could imagine, woke up to find a puddle near my pillow, but I dont care, everything dried out eventually and now can't wait till we can set out for another adventure. It's great! :o

Funny how my backache has returned after first night in own bed..think the airbed must be better for it...It's great to hear other camping tales..I would be really interested to hear about campsites worth a visit...a shower facility would be an added bonus!!

As part of my teacher training we had to take a group of school children to Angelsey for a weeks camping trip. It was great fun although we also had no showers. Just had 1 shower in the week and that was when we went swimming at the local pool!

My friend has recently come back to the civilised world and left the field that someone thought was a good place to stay. Over 20 people camping in a field, which was 3 fields away from the one shower. The one tap was outside a cow barn and her feet had to share whatever it was the cows had left behind. NOT my idea of fun. Hotels of no less than 3 stars, hot power shower, breakfast served between 8 and 10, central heating, thick duvets, a bar.... :D

went to Sandringham campsite - very nice people and good showers, even a little shop on site. We are members of the camping and caravanning club. :)

My friend has recently come back to the civilised world and left the field that someone thought was a good place to stay. Over 20 people camping in a field, which was 3 fields away from the one shower. The one tap was outside a cow barn and her feet had to share whatever it was the cows had left behind. NOT my idea of fun. Hotels of no less than 3 stars, hot power shower, breakfast served between 8 and 10, central heating, thick duvets, a bar.... :D

Got to say I agree. I went in a caravan once when my son was small and it rained and rained and rained some more .

Some friends bought a luxury tent for their first experience and arrived at the camp site in a thunderstorm after he struggled for over 2 hours to put the tent up she drove to the nearest hotel with the kids and left him to camp alone............the tent went on ebay 2 weeks later :D

Edited by Marion