Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Communication

me again.......... xD

Am thinking of having small booklets to use between home and nursery for general comments to keep up communication with parents. :)

Can anyone that does this give me any pionters of what to do/not to do to make it work as effectivly as possible!!!!!!! :o

What do you call these books also????? :D

Hi Hali,

We have been using these books for 3 years now. We call them the home-school books and have found that parents like using them. We encourage parents to check them daily for snippets of info either topic related,general comments or please can you bring in. I try to add photos as often as i can, we are a very small nursery with 16 children so they are easily managed. Some parents write loads every day, one mum even stuck a snip of her sons first hair cut in the book! Ah sweet. Some of our children go in to after school care so i dont see the parents when they pick up their children, we find the books very useful to pass on info this way. Recent inspectors commented on an excellent home school link.

Ours are very similar to Jackie's. They are really lovely - especially when they have photos in, and the team really take pride in doing them.

My only qualm is on occasion when the keyworker books take priority over interaction. This is something we are looking at.

We have got the books and plan to use them this term while our numbers are slightly less. I'm worrid about the time it will take to fill them in, i guess short, postive comments are what is required. Looking forward to starting them and the responses from the parents.

Hi,

The home school link is very positive. Does anyone have a copy they can share with me as this will be my second year in Reception and I would like to intoduce this idea. Thanks in advance.

Flowerxxxxx

Aside from books, what systems do you have in place to ensure that you get quality time talking to parents about their children?

Staff ensure that they speak to parents at drop-off and pick-up times, but as you know, these are always busy times, and the conversation can be limited.

Obviously, there are the usual Open Evenings, etc, but these only happen once in a while.

I am thinking along the lines of having a booking-in system so that parents/carers can book a slot to see their child's keyworker during opening hours - when I am able to cover. Does anyone do this?

Also, what do you do about the parents that don't attend Open Evenings, etc? How about sending them an invite to pop in another time?

dear shelly we have the parents afternoon/ eve. we have the parents vote to which time of day they would find most suitable. we then have to go with the majority. any one unable to attend has an appointment with the keyworker at a suitable time. collection or drop of time is allways busy, we allways comment in our newsletters that we are avaible for a chat but that these times are very busy so please hang back, arrive early or call into the session. Why is it that you always find one parent wants to waffle on as every one else is trying to leave? I insist that i say goodbye personaly to each child, pass on quick comments, say goodbye to parents, hand out newsletters etc, on exit as well as watching and checking as you do! while doing this and listening to the parent with non playgroup moans i have had to run after a child whom was fed up with waiting and wiggled through the back log to get out. I now have to get in first & request that "if you need to chat about your child or playgroup, please wait and i'll be with you in a minute" I dont mean to be rude but the parent who needs to talk to me cant even get near me!! I have had to be mean as she causes a security risk also.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)