Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Seal Document

there have been a few discussions on here about it. If you do a search i'm sure something will come up. I know Marion uses it in her setting

Hi Marion, we are a nursery and wondered how really to get started with the materials, do we just pick one idea from each area and implement it or do we do one section at a time. Is there an easy way to document what you plan to cover and what you have already coverd? Sorry thats a lot of questions, we have the cd and a brief overview but thats it. Your help would be much appriceated. :)

The idea is to spend half a term on each theme. There are 7 themes ( 6 half term and a mini theme of Bullying to fit in with anti bullying week) starting with 'New Beginnings' The pack suggests the order the themes are used but like the literacy and numeracy strategies this isnt written in stone and is up to the setting to work how best suits them. SEAL covers all aspects og FS PSE except health. The packs also contain some lovely posters and photographs (makes me think of Peggy's montage)

Each theme is introduced by an 'assembly' with a story found in the pack followed by lots of circle time type activities much of the approach is what we already do...........promoting self confidence/ positive attitudes / looking at the whole child etc.

Don't know if you saw the Channel 4 program 'Secret life of the classroom' but the circle time activiy where the children picked out the face that showed how they were feeling that day (happy/ sad) is a suggested SEAL activity. Initially children would pick out from a limited number of pictures and gradually be helped to develop the vocabulary to describe their feeling.

Some settings in my area are using the themes as a basis for their long term planning very successfully.

I worked with a teacher from one of the pilot schools who claimed their results have increased dramitically since adopting the SEAL principals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)