Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playdoe

Does anyone know of a recipe for play doe that does not need Cream of Tar Tar, as I live in Spain and this is very difficult to get hold of? I had heard about using white vinegar as a substitute for cream of tar tar. But i need to know how much to use

Gill

:o

When I didnt have any in my cupboard, I just used a basic FLOUR AND WATER dough but it doesnt last and can be a bit sticky. I used wholemeal flour.

Uncooked Playdough (salt and flour)

1/4 cup salt

1 cup flour

1/4 cup water

Have your child mix the flour and salt in a bowl then add water. Knead and squeeze the dough to make a clay consistency. You may need to add more water.

OR

2 cup cornstarch

2 cup baking soda

1 1/4 cup cold water

Gradually add water till smooth. Heat, stirring constantly until mashed potato consistency. Turn onto plate, cover with damp cloth, let cool. Knead dough.

or (taken from a website somewhere ages ago, I havent made this one)

Cooked Playdough (baking soda and corn starch)

1 cup baking soda

1/2 cup corn starch

3/4 cup water

Have your child mix the baking soda and corn starch in a pot. Use hands to make sure all the lumps are broken up. Add water. The adult should put the pan on the stove over medium heat and stir constantly. As soon as the mixture gathers together, remove from the heat. When it cools, have your child knead it into a smooth playdough.

Note: Don't over cook this playdough or it will crumble when the children use it.

here is the recipe i use, always turns out ok with me or the children making it.

2 cups of flour (plain)

1 cup of salt

1 tablespoon of oil (veg, sunflower etc)

1 cup of water. add food colouring if wanted and knead until smooth.

for streching dough try:

750g self raising flour

approx 750ml water.

this doesnt keep for long though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)