Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Views On Secret Ife Of The Classroom

I really enjoyed the program and I too was pleased that it showed all those different aspects of 'teaching' that are not really covered in planning. We've all had a day when several children cry at once :oxD:(

I rather liked the poignant look at the clock when the teacher went home :D

I think it was a good reflection of reception practise except that there seemed to be a lot of rooms lots of different teachers but only one class? perhaps it was a FSU rather than a single intake?

I didnt see the whole program but was pleased to see the prominence PSE and children as individuals was given in what I saw. Noticed big SEAL influence!

My daughter commented 'there arent many children are there?' (this from a chil who attended a primary school with a reception intake limit of 10) so dont know if the program was 'staged' to some extent ..........more space /fewer children/ more adults?

Edited by Marion

Having twice been throuhg the 'ordeal' of having cameras on site for TV programmes, I can say there will have been a fair bit of 'staging' I remeber once being filmed (not me personally) for a literacy demo lesson, and the poor chidlren were asked the same questions about 10 times, just to make sure they got the right 'answer'.

I thought there was a huge amount of space for the chidlren and there only seemed to be one class? It was really good to see the emphaisis on PSE but the amount of time apparently spent between the teacher and one or two chidlren would be impossble for us when we have to spend so much time unsupported in the classroom..is it just me that feels that?

As I said didnt see the whole program but my general opinion of TV classroom documentaries is they show the ideal rather than the norm and dont reflect the real situation in schools where it may be 1 adult with 30 children in a small space trying to cope.

I thought there was a huge amount of space for the chidlren and there only seemed to be one class? It was really good to see the emphaisis on PSE but the amount of time apparently spent between the teacher and one or two chidlren would be impossble for us when we have to spend so much time unsupported in the classroom..is it just me that feels that?

Mundia this exactly sums up what I was thinking! Also, I feel the program gave the impression that very little subject teaching goes on - my hubby decided that Reception teaching is a doddle!

I really loved the children and was impressed with how articulate they were - can't wait to get back to my new class :D

Edited by Guest

I really enjoyed it too. Would hate to be in that position myself - how calm and patient was that teacher - not sure I'd be as cool. We said the same sort of things - number of children, space, time spent with individual children - but great to see PSE being shown and its importance highlighted.

Loved the children - though I can imagine as a parent I might have been mortified with one or two instances :o

Guest Tredworth

I really enjoyed it and thought it was wonderful to see PSED being put at the heart of a mainstream TV programme. I hope some of my new parents watched it!

Yes, of course it was staged and life isn't really like that but I was delighted to see that there is someone else out there investing in children's PSE education and employing the strategies and approaches I believe in.

hi,

I liked the bit when Isaac(i think) said to the camera crew that they could stay there to tell the headteacher how good he has been while he goes back to class. :D

Just wanted to say that I did my GTP year in the filmed school and worked with that very teacher for a term in reception, and despite people's comments about 'staging' (which I agree, I'm sure there were plenty of times when careful editing etc. took place), I can honestly say that the teacher in question really IS that patient and is SOOOOO excellent. Since I began my training I have aspired to be a cross between her and another fantastic teacher I have had the good fortune to work with elsewhere. The TA in that class is also excellent (though we didn't see much of her). I missed the first 5 minutes or so, so I don't know whether this was mentioned, but she is actually a 'leading teacher' in the authority and I may be biased, but I think the title is well-deserved.

As far as the lack of subject teaching goes, I got the impression that the focus of the programme was more on the PSE side of things and integrating certain characters in to the life of school. Also, bear in mind it was only their first term in school!!

The programme made me a little sad though, as I've always thought of that school as my 'home school', and now I'm entering September as a supply teacher it made me feel sad that I won't have my own class.

On the up side, from next week the jobs should start being advertised again for Jan (though I'm not expecting anything that quickly!)

Well done Moorlands Infant School!!

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression when I said 'staged' I was in no way being critical of the staff. What I actually meant was the program showed what it set out to portray and not what you or another visitor to the class would see.

Does that mean you are local to me Chocolate Girl? Bath is my nearest city, I live about 15 miles away, I visited the school on one of my college courses, it was reflected so well in the programme.

Shirel,

I am east of Bath, between Calne and Wooton Bassett (having previously - a year ago - been south of Bath between Frome and Radstock). Are we anywhere near?

Marion,

I know you meant nothing by the 'staged' thing, I'm just a little protective of the school!! :D and know they wouldn't have been part of the 'staging'. I've watched enough 'reality' TV this summer xD:o to know that careful editing takes place before transmission!!

We're not there any more, but we used to live in Coleford, and I used to travel in to Bath to Moorlands, then to Twerton (which I've just left). I did visit the school in Coleford several times though as part of my training - I love their nursery, and Sandy the NT is the other teacher I referred to in my earlier post.

Where do you work?

Wow Chocolate girl I'm 1 mile from Coleford, Holcombe, and I know Sandy from a child I used to look after using her nursery, I was always impressed with her she was and still is fantastic so I have been told, my nursery is at Stratton on the Fosse so that's the next village on, small world hey!!

I visited a nursery in S on the F several times when I was doing my degree, as part of my dissertation. Can't remember what it was called, but it was basically a part of someone's house, and I remember the lane to it was up a hill off the 'main' road.

Small world indeed! And a lovely part of the world that is too!

P.S Shirel,

We really miss The Ring O' Roses - we used to love it there, and don't really have anywhere like that very close to us. Ah - nice memories!

Mogghill Nursery, that is where the 3-4yr olds are I am down the road at the village hall with the 2-3yr olds, but it's the same owner, Di , she's my boss. You may of even looked after my children who all went there!! Yes I agree Ring of Roses is lovely!! :D