Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Direct Debit And Christmas Opening

Hello

We are contemplating making payments by Direct Debit mandatory for all parents at our nursery to cut down on the amount of time we spend chasing parents for Payments!

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a change over to Direct Debit and whether you lost any parents because of it and how well it works?

Also currently we open between Christmas and New Year but are considering closing at this time.

Could anyone tell me whether they open at this time to help me make a decision as to what to do and whether you still charge parents if you are closed at Christmas?

Thank You :D

Most of the day nurseries in our area close for the Christmas and new year period-I think it's the only time of year they do have a few days when they are not open.

Surely you won't be able to charge parents for this time if it is your decision to close. I know that nurseries locally allow parents four weeks when they don't pay, for annual holidays and this time at Christmas.

Linda

My setting (DN) does allow parents to pay weekly, in cash, but in advance, and they are very hot on chasing them up. Owner much prefers monthly standing orders (again, in advance). We only ever close on Bank Hols, and once parents have been with us for three months they can have two weeks at 50% to cover family holidays.

In practice, if parents push enough, they can sometimes negotiate special deals, but that's not such a common occurrence these days as the Nurseries as so full and popular ( :o )

Sue

I issue standing order forms with my invoices, I had no problems from parents at all, in fact one parent who didn't have a bank account used her sisters account to pay me and she then paid her sister :D .

We close at Christmas. In Kent they have said that the funded children can only be absent for 10 days a year or lose their funding. (this was how they interpretated the code of practice, but as you are most probably aware, this is currently being negotiated)

Peggy

There was a discussion a while ago about charging for bank holidays , so some of it may be relevant?

With regards to Direct Debits - there has been difficulty gaining the backing of the banks to do this (there is no problem with Standing Orders as it is a fixed amount each month) DIrect Debits are requested by the provider for any given amount, so errors could be made and banks are not keen on this.

There is a company called Parenta that do a Fee Planner scheme and (for a fee) they will collect payments by DD from parents and if there is a missed payment, they will chase it up for you, so you don't have to go face to face in a potentially difficult situation.

Not the cheapest way of doing it, but if you have a history of bad payers, it could be a long-term solution?

We have had lots of problems with our parents Not wanting to pay by standing order due to them changing sessions and or not being able to keep track of how much they are paying. We havent lost any however it has caused some friction.

We are closed between Christmas and new year and dont charge the parents for this, yes your right its the only time the Nursery gets to shut for the year!

We are closed bank hols and the parents are charged and they dont get any allowance for holidays, as we cant fill those spaces whilst the children are away, and most parents are working and are being paid by their employer!.As far as I am aware all Nurseries in our area are doing the same.

• 2 weeks later...

We open between christmas and new year and as such all parents are charged for that period even if they choose to keep their child off.

We also close bank holidays and again parents pay for this.

Most of our fees are paid on direct debit, and any extra sessions are just charged seperatly.

Dawn

all my parents pay by direct debit and we do close for approx 10 days over christmas and for 1 week at the end of august. Our fees are calculated yearly and then divided into 12 equal payments august and christmas are taken into account when the fees are calculated x jojom x