Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Day Trips Out For Under Fives

Has anyone any good ideas for taking our children out on a trip. We have been to a Children's Farm, and an Aquarium. We are located in Stockport therefore near the motorways but we dont really want to be travelling for more than 45 -60 mins. We usually hire a coach and take lots of mums too.

Has anyone ever taken a large group of children to a zoo eg Chester Zoo?

:)

Hiya, I took 60 Foundation Stage children to Colchester Zoo last year and we had a wonderful time. I had 1 adult to 2 children and gave them all a map and timetable for the day. Adults were grouped in 2s and 3s. I set certain times for us to meet together - lunch, feeding elephants, penguin display and home time - so that I could keep some sort of check on people. I also put together a list of mobile phone numbers, but unfortunately the signal was very poor at the zoo!

It was about 40 minutes on the coach, so about the same journey you anticipate. Obviously I'm not in the Stockport area, but thought you'd find my own experience of a zoo trip useful.

Hope that is helpful,

Hey jude :o

Hi Julie

Welcome to the site and thanks for your first postings. It's good to have somebody else from Stockport on here.

We have been to Stockley farm a couple of times and we are going to Chester Zoo mid March. So I will be able to tell you more then! Which farm did you go to? Do you know that there is a farm at Reddish Vale? It's supposed to be quite good although we haven't been yet! Did you visit Blue Planet?

We always stay together as a group when we go on visits-with a ratio of one to two as much as possible. I feel it is more of a group visit if we stay together.

Linda

Thanks Hey Jude and Linda,

I am a bit apprehensive :o about taking a group of children to an area that this large and open, in the past I have been to more enclosed locations,

I look forward to hearing about your trip Linda.

Juliel :)

[

Hi

I am about to plan a trip to Colchester zoo, it will be a 6-1 ratio though. As you have already been, do you think this will be manageable. We do not have money for a coach but will be using mini buses, so cannot take to many adults as not enough seats

Hi Cinderella. Im sure someone will correct me on this, but I was under the impression that the ratio needed to be at least 4:1 if the children are under 5. I think 6 children per adult is an awful lot.

As an aside we have also just heard at school that we are no longer able to take parent helpers on trips unless they have been police cleared. Does anyone know anything about this? Its not my area of expertise.

Hi

Yes parent helpers need to be police checked just as they do if helping in school. Where did you get info about 1-4, if this is so we won't be able to go, as no room for adults on mini coach.

The new DFee Health and safety guidelines for trips (im paraphrasing the title here states 6 to 1 for children in years 1-3 but a higher ratio for the under 5s without actually stating what that is.

Your LEA wil have its own guidelines, in our case that is 4 to 1. What are other members doing?

Hi!

On the subject of trips my perspective might be a bit different since when we organise trips the parents or carers fall over themselves to come along too. So far we have ventured to West Midlands Safari Park (about 50 mins from home) - an excellent day out and saves having your own car trashed by the animals!!! (Bit scarey when I went to do my own risk assessment though.......). We would certainly venture as far as Chester Zoo, time permitting, and know that the parents would want to come too: a) cheaper for them to get in :o more fun to go with a friend. We are keen to encourage as much parental involvement as possible but make it clear that for those who are unable to join us there is a facility for a staffmember to accompany their child at an additional cost (eg cover expenses). Maybe that's worth a try? I have found that by including parents I have had time to build relationships with the parents and, miracle of miracles, enjoy the trip myself!

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cinderella, have been away so only just read this. I agree that 6:1 would not be a good idea! We had 2:1 and it worked well. Colchester zoo is big and easy to lose people but by grouping adults and setting times to meet it kept us together. We didn't lose anyone and had a great day. The zoo will provide a place for you to leave lunches.

Get back to me.

heyjude

Cinderella, By the way, we actually charged the parents to go as we needed so many. The zoo gives some places free. We charged parents their zoo entrance fee and built travel costs into the children's payment.

heyjude

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)