Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Magazines Which Do You Recommend?

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

I sometimes buy Child ed if it looks interesting, because I teach r/yr1 I sometimes like articles in Nursery magazines.I dont take a subscription but was wondering if Child Ed Topics would be worth it??

Tinkerbellx

I tend to order:

Nursery World

Early Years Educator and

Nursery Education

All have good qualities and are worth a look, I particularly like Nursery Education as it gives some good advice for planning activites etc. Not quite the age range you're looking for, but would really recommend them.

I occasionally buy the magazines Clare mentions above but dont subscribe. I currently subscribe to the scholastic Early Years Activity Bank. I find child ed aimed at older children than I work with but have subscribed in the past.

Child ed is Ok for the age range you have, like any "topic" idea bank they are aimed at "everychild" and won't always meet the needs of your children, whatever the theme. Also like any magazine of this sort they do promote the Topic based approach where the activities seem to come before the actual learning, i.e:" Do this activity - children learn X" rather than " children showing interest in X so i will use my knowledge of the children's needs to develop it within the parameters of the theme we are focusing on", if you see what I mean. Can lead to activity lead planning rather than learning lead planning.

That said I took it for years when working in KS1 - the posters are brill and the articles usually pretty sound, with all the usual suspects putting their tuppence ha'penny in!!!

There's also Early Years educator (EYE) which I haven't used a lot but sems to give Child Ed a run for it's money too.

Cx :o

Hope that makes sense!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)