Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Schemes For Foundation Stage

Hi Everyone,

I am just beginning the process of searching for new published schemes for literacy and numeracy. Our foundation stage needs a complete overhaul as things have changed very little since the introduction to the NNS and NLS and the FS document. If anyone has used any good schemes that they could recommend we are looking for both literacy and numeracy. We would also be interested in using books that are topic based and include the 6 areas of learning. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it as I need to get sample copies now to get approval and funding!

Thanks so much

Gaynor

Hi there. I have just discovered the Abacus maths scheme which I accessed through Hamilton Trust. I adapt it to my class but it makes sure you cover everything. They also do a literacy scheme that looks very good, but I haven't used it as it would mean buying in more books (and I daren't ask for any more money!)

I have also found the Scholastic Topic books useful - Ourselves, Toys, Homes, Journeys etc.

Hope that's slightly helpful!

Follow Jolly Phonics for literacy - 100% recommended. Use it for intensive phonic input in the initial term and use the tremendous results after for inredible independent and writing work. ignore the NLS - very flawed in its approach to the most effective methods of teaching reading. Have been reading up on research and there's so much out there we don't know - and it seems the government are ignoring! I was quite cross when I found out. The web site of the Reading Reform Foundation is a good starting point. Good luck!

Hi Jasmine -

Thanks for that - good to hear from you, you always have interesting things to say on phonics topics! :)

Here's a link to the Reading Reform Forum for anyone who wants to try it out.

Hi Heyjude - good to hear from you too! I nearly missed your post which got drowned out by all the weather last night! :D

Regards, Steve.

Steve, thanks for the link - will spend time reading there after looking at new posts here.

We use Jolly Phonics too and think it is great. We start it in FS1 and continue in FS2.

LCP might be worth a look at.

Chris

We use synthetic phonics which is a combination of Jolly phonics and other phonic schemes. :D

It concentrates on learning the sounds but also building word (spelling), blending and letter recognition. We introduce words as we introduce the phonemes E.g First two letters we introduce are s,a so we can read and spell as... then we introduce t... so can read and spell at, sat. as... etc.

Using Jolly phonics gives children the multi-sensory approach which they love and helps them to remember the letters.

Good luck... I will be interested in foloowing this as I have just been appointed as Early Years coordinator and feel that we also need a good overhaul... and am considering an intergrated day as we are very literacy and numeracy focused from the beginning which I feel isn;t right for the children. :o

Lorna

Wow, Lorna, it's interesting to see other teachers carrying out a practice I have only recently found out about - and when trying to learn more, couldn't find anyone who knew what I was talking about! If it wasn't PiPs, it just didn't seem to exist. Well, PiPs or Letterland.

I am interested - you outlined your approach, but - do you teach reading solely by your phonics schemes and the children ue the decoding method exclusively or do you teach alternative strategies?

Thanks, Jasmine

Hello - just found this site and spent the last hour or so reading the topics. I teach a reception class and would like to praise a useful resource - GINN'S "LIGHTHOUSE" - I use it for Guiding reading activities and have also just started using the software too. The children enjoy the books - simple vocab. but they get a sense of achievement reading a book not from the reading scheme; completing an activity connected to it and working on the computer. :D

PS I'm also a "Jolly Phonics" fan - the children really love singing the songs and doing the actions daily!!

Hi Sadika

Just thought I would welcome you to the site and thanks for your first posting. Hope to hear from you a lot and I am sure you will find the site very useful.

Linda

Hi Sadika -

In company with Linda I'd like to welcome you to the community! :D

Does Ginn's Lighthouse have an online presence? I've not come across it before so it would be good to set up a link to it.

Lots of Jolly Phonics fans for you to chat to here. Hope you continue to find lots of stuff to interest you!

Steve.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)