Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Happens With The Unacheived Points?

Now that we are being told that the average score for a child in the profile is about 6 what happens to point 7,8 and possiby 9. Do any of you work in schools where these points are picked up in Yr1. In our school they are not. As soon as children enter Yr1 they start on the National Curriculum. It really angers me as it is liking they are saying the foundation stage is not important so we don't need to 'finish it off' What happens in i=other schools?

I don't know the answer, but good question.

I wondered about this because my grandson is just 5 yrs ( July) and starting KS1 in September.

He achieved ELG's in all areas bar PSE ( sitting still :o ), but I don't know what his profile points are. xD (note to self, ask my daughter)

Peggy

I pass the profiles onto the Year1 teacher who will continue using these for the children who have not yet achieved points 1-8 (point 9 is a child already working at NC level 1 or in some cases level 2). Very few children will complete the profile in all areas by the end of FS so the advice is to use it as an assessment tool.

The advice from the DFEs is

Q11: My local authority expects me to complete Foundation Stage Profile in Year 1. Is this appropriate?

A11: The statutory requirement is to complete and return summative information for the 13 scales of the Foundation Stage Profile at the end of the Foundation Stage (Reception Year.) This information is built up during the reception year as formative assessments to support planning that meets the learning needs of children. We know that at present 48% of children are achieving 6 scale points on the 7 scales of PSED and CLL by the end of the Reception Year, so it would be sensible to continue the approach of observing and assessing children’s progress towards the early learning goals in Year 1 where this is appropriate. It would be sensible to refer to the Profile handbook to inform this process.

Hi, my first post, so I'm a bit scared! I have learned so much from this forum and received so many great ideas, I thought it was time I contributed back to it.

In our school the Year 1 teachers are given the FSPs and know that many of the children are still working on ELGs. They say that they work on them too, but in reality... However, I am losing my lovely reception partner to Year 1 this year, so things may be different!

Our transition this year is very careful and the first (new) term until October is just like Reception in the Summer term: plenty of opportunity to continue working on ELGs and time to introduce NC.

What they do do in Year 1 though, is refer back to the profile at Parents' evenings, if children are still working within the ELGs. We share our 'tracking document' for NC with parents at each formal meeting and for those children not yet working on NC, their profile is used to track progress.

There now, that wasn't so bad!

Thanks for everyone's hardwork, making this the first place I turn to for advice. :D

Hi Cookieboy and welcome!

Glad the posting experience wasnt as terrifying as you imagined--it is always good to hear from new people and I hope that will be your first post of many!

The recomendations, lola, are that the profile is continued into year 1 as you see but as you know in reality that doesnt always happen! Is this the same I wonder for children at KS1 who have not met expectations???

It is also important to remember that the points 4 - 8 are not hierarchical so there may be quite a variety of 'gaps' . Remember also that we are not meant to be teaching to the profile. At our school we are a model of good practice for transition - the reception teachers go and teach in Year 1 for a few sessions a week (we have no children in the afternoon to start with) and child initiated sessions are continued with. We have meetings with the Year 1 staff and the Profiles are handed over tand discussed.

re what happens between KS1 and KS2, the NC levels are continuous, and children are moving up through the levels using the sub levels to track progression. Y3 is often a difficult transition for children - hopefully now the use of teacher assessment will mean they don't get over inflated SATs scores, which they can't sustain in Y3.

Cx

I job-share in a R/Y1 class. This year's reception cohort is small (11 children) and have 2 statments and another going for statutory assessment, and overall have scored pretty low on the profile this year. In September, we will continue with profile assessments for the children with statements and 2-4 of the other children who have scored 3-6ish points. This is so that we can see progress to share with staff in class, parents, the Head (and OFSTED). There seems little point in assessing those children against National Curriculum attainment targets, as they will be W for a long time, and it will be disheartening for everyone to see, even though we know there has been progress. We will be teaching the reception children all the time in the class but the Year 1s, just in the morning and 1 or 2 afternoons (after guided reading) as they will be joining the Y2s to follow National curriculum topic work. We will be liasing carefully with the Y2 teacher, as there may be times when some of the Y1 children stay with us in the afternoon, and follow similar themed work at a 'lower more practical level' than other Y1s/Y2s which will be more easily assessed by the profile. Well, that's the theory anyway!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)