Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health Declaration

Could anyone help me with a suitable format to use for a Health Declaration Form

and what to include?

I have some ideas but dont want to leave any thing out.

Would love to see an example!

Thank you

Neve

It really depends on what you are going to do with the form once you have received it. Are you qualified to make a decision on a person's suitability for the post, in terms of their health?

At the local authority we used to work for we used to recommend settings do one or both of the following:

1. Add a statement to the application form for the candidate to sign to say that they know of no medical condition that will deem them unable to do the job;

2. Request a letter from their doctor - which will need to be paid for

You have to be SO careful about making judegments on people's health unless you are qualified to do so. It can lead to all sorts of difficulties in terms of discrimination.

Shelley

• 1 year later...

hi all, i have been told all staff should complete a health declaration form and was given a copy of the one used by ofsted to help develop one, which i did but now our administrator says it should not be given to staff as we have no right to ask health questions.

does anyone know??

i dont really feel its right but ofsted asked if we had something a long those lines for staff and its been mentioned by others.

does anyone have them for all staff?

should we??

Guest Wolfie

This discussion has definitely been had before on the forum but I can't find the particular thread at the moment! It's a fine line between invading privacy and having information that you need to have to ensure the health and safety of your employees. For example, you need to have information about any health related conditions that may affect your employees ability to carry out their job effectively and you also need to know about any allergies, etc. so that you can take swift and appropriate action if an employee starts to become distressed.

Hopefully someone else will be able to find the previous thread relating to this, it had a lot of very useful information and examples. I'll search again later and add the link if I find it!

Edited by Wolfie

We were told to have some sort of health dec by Ofsted. We have used their template but are using a confidential third party to hold responses so both committee and supervisors etc are not aware of any adverse health info.

We are a small pre school with 4 staff and all my staff are happy to do this and then each year we will sign a simple disclaimer advising no further issues and agreeing to advise if anything does arise.

We too were unsure how to handle this ...

Breedon

i think it says on the health declaration form, that filling it out is up to the individual. You can ask, but they can refuse.

I think that i would agree with Shelly in that its best to have a statement in the contract as a disclaimer.

good luck!

• 2 months later...

We already had a self declaration form (suggested by our Advisor) to sign yearly to say staff had no criminal convictions - as an update to the CRB clearance.

Following our OFSTED last month we were advised to extend this to include health issues and dependency on alcohol and drugs. It would have been a recomendation if we didn't already have something in place but we were just advised to develop it further.

I think it is a difficult area, what do you do with the information?

But OFSTED wanted to see checks on suitability of staff.

• 10 months later...

Just a quick question. Is it mandatory for all employee's to get a medical health check letter or form completed by their doctor?

No .. we were told health declaration is fine..and it is not your fault if they 'varnish the truth' on it! I questioned the need for how much you drink on it and how it may not be filled in correctly.. reply was so long as you have asked and they have answered this was OK!

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)