Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Day Three Managers Job

HI

So day three as manager, most certanly early day's. Thankfully the deputy has been unbelievably supoprtive so far, which has surprised me.

I got to work monday morning to find a huge pile of paperwork on my desk and a million 'to do' lists ~ left by the old manager :o spent all monday shifting paper from one side of the desk to the other.. at least it made me feel marginally better.....

Tuesday seemed a little more productive till i got to a letter about a funded child... this child is only finded for a certain amount and the amount does not cover our fee's so there is a shortfall but the parents have not been made aware of that shortfall so they now owe rather a lot (shortfall of £13.45, for 12 weeks) of money and i feel that it is the old managers fault that the parents were not made aware immediatly of the shortfall.... im not sure what to do, have written a letter to the directors explaining the situation (as its easier to write out rather than talk to them over the phone!!) and hope that the directors will wave the shortfall, otherwise i could have my first case of disgruntled parents on my hand.

seriously the old manager has left so many loose ends its untrue and im currently catching up and sorting out her mess.... haven't had chance to look at the operational plan, or re familiarise myself with policies etc..... and im so worried ofsted will just turn up that im stressing already.... seriously if ofsted turned up tommorow i would be a complete flop as i really know nothing managerial yet....

fair enough the directors employed me knowing i knew nothing managerial but im kind of feeling well and truely chucked in at the deep end.

misisng the children a little too, i am very happy to have my new role but at the moment i don't know a great deal of anything and feel little support to the staff as im finding my feet in what has become a mindfield of paperwork and loose ends.....

please tell me it gets a little easier and more managable as i find my feet.

Dawn

Edited by Guest

It does take time and I know how you feel.

You are probably putting too much pressure on yourself - like I do to myself. One thing I've learnt, is that you cannot do everything at once. It all takes time. My problem is that I want everything done NOW, and that just isn't realistic.

Have just done 1 module of a really good management course, and part of it was about prioritsing your workload. I am happy to send you some notes or chat with you over the phone about stuff.

Please don't stress. I know it is easier said than done - but you'll end up wearing yourself out - like I've done already.

It's also nice just to have days where you forget the paperwork, and spend it with the children. You do feel less stressed afterwards.

I'm so pleased that your deputy is being more supportive - use her wisely!

Take Care x

I endorse everything that Shelley has said, take your time to find out what systems are in place ( or not) and prioritise. I also think it is important to be with the children, to 1/ keep sane and 2/ see what's what.

Have a look at the to do list that the previous manager left, decide which ones you can delegate, then with the rest put each one into a time scale, to be dealt with within 1 month, 1 week, and immediately. ( you might choose other time scales, ie: look at in September.) Then within each time scale list prioritise 1st 2nd 3rd etc then put them in your diary. Always leave room each day to deal with post, emails etc and time for contingencies all those things that were not planned for.

You have done right to refer the fees issue to your directors but should the case be that they require you to request payment from the parent, then any complaints or issues arising should also be directed to the directors. It will be their decision, so they should justify it to the parent should the need arise.

It does get better, your mind is swimming ( maybe even feel like you are drowning) hence the term 'in at the deep end' , as time goes by you will float to the surface and even start to enjoy being the 'big fish' in the pond. :o

Peggy

When my deputy left to become manager of a DN she often used to phone me about stuff, it takes a while to settle into a new role and after only 3 days I dont think you should be worrying. Take it nice and easy, you'll pick it all up in time. And do try to get back to the children now and then, it's the one reason I wouldnt want to be manager, I've seen so many who never leave their office, maybe they like it like that but it wouldnt suit me having to be a grown up all day! Good luck :D:D