Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

British Sign Language

Hello.

I have been having a browse on the net (yet another sleepless night!) and have come across a course that I'm quite interested in.

It is the Level 1 Certificate in British Sign Language. I was wondering had anyone taken part in a course like this before and also if it would be suitable to use within the early years?

What are your thoughts on this course? Would it be ok for me, having never studied sign language before (discounting a brief spell in the Girl Guides about 14 years ago!) or would I be better off learning something else, sign language related?

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks! :D

Hi Clare, having worked with children with special needs for many years, all the advice is to start with Makaton as a first signing course - however, more recently I have been involved in supporting a child who makes good use of makaton, but is now using 'Sign-a-long' with specific courses and training available for parents / carers to support their children. Where are you based? I know that there has been a fairly recent course in my area of Cheshire.

Hi Clare, I can certainly relate to sleepless nights!!

It really depends what you want to learn BSL for? I did BSL stages one and two out of my own interest and really enjoyed it, in fact I miss it now as I dont have much course to really use it any more. I do now work in aschool with a hearing impaired unit and do use baisc signing which because we also have a 100% EAL population is useful for them too. Stage 1 is quite basic and I dont think you would find it difficult, it is based largely on basic vocabulary with some grammar. To take it up properly I would highly recommend that you find a course with a deaf tutor and you would need to be able to visist a local deaf club to gain a more wsocial experience of mising with people whose first language is BSL. I would highly recommned it if you have an interest, I find that you never know when you are in a shop, on a bus or whatever and you meet someone who signs and is struggling to communicate, how mcuh you can help even with a little basic BSL knowledge.

If you want to know more, drop me a PM..

Hi

We use Makaton and Sign-a-Long in our area. we use it with our children that have English as a second language, and some of our SEN children. We were told that BSL is only used by the profoundly deaf and that they will adapt it to their own personal needs, don't know how much of that is true. The Makaton and Sign-a-long was very easy and we have a basic 200/250 words now that we all use. some more than others. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the only trouble is that if you don't use it all the time you forget some of the words very quickly, or maybe thats me on overload. :o:D

Sign-a-long is the latest one that most schools are starting to use instead of Makaton as its much cheaper and better too apparently! I've only just learnt my bloody makaton!!! Lots of things are similar, but others are slightly different, so that will be interesting learning new stuff. I work in a special school where most kids use Makaton at the moment.

Hi

Like Mundia, I also work in a school with a hearing impaired unit. Learning sign language is a fantastic skill and quite easy to pick up the basics. I teach reception with three hearning impaired children and the hearing children pick up sign language really quickly, especially through nursery rhymes and signed singing. As a whole school we learn a sign a day and we have recently had a sponcered sign. Reception, year 1 and year 2 did 100 signs in under 2 minutes! I would recomend SIGNS FOR SUCCESS: Teaching Hearing Children Reading Skills Through BSL by Kathy Robinson. We have just started using this.

Andrea

Ps. Mundia, I would be interested to know where you teach as I am in the midlands and I believe you are too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)