Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shared Learning

yes i know which of my parents will do this already this. The thing is that they are proberly the children who need it most. But you do have to try i just hope it works. what sort f this do you send home. I was thinking of white boards and pens, magnet boards and magnets and a song/story propsi dont know if you have any other ideas. also thank you for your fast reply Marion

We made game boards throw the dice and move the counter type things ....... pairs games ...... matching games (thank goodness for laminators) story bags with tapes number shape and measure activities.

Speaking a a parent and not a pre-schooler my sons Reception class tried this and for all those paretns who are really good at playing and talking to their children it became the dreaded bags that came home, and for those others and we all know how many there are aroundb they didn't bother to bring them back so it didn't work very well. Don't know the answer of how to get it to the ones that need it the most. If you come up with an answer to that question I'm sure we would all by you a drink. :D

P.S. as a pre-schooler let me know how it goes as I have never had the courage to try and keep track of the games and things that go home. good Luck I hope it works

• 3 months later...

just waht to come back and let you know how the shared learning has worked since September. All the chidlren in the nursery have now got a book bag and they also can borrrow a nursery toy, so far we have not lost any equipment but i am sure we will be some losses but it is working really well at the moment. the parents are responsible for signing in and out the children's books and toy

Guest DeborahF

That sounds like a really good scheme that you've started there, it sounds like a real success.

I'm starting something with roughly the same aims in January - we are running parent workshops explaining each area of learning in the Foundation Stage, one per session. We are going to split the session into two parts; for the first hour we're going to work with parents and children together in a room set up with a range of activities that promote learning in that particular area and then for the second hour we are going to have a creche for the children whilst we have a chat and a drink with the parents, explaining why we did the various activities, making resources and giving them ideas for activities at home. We're also going to set up a lending library of books, magazines and general resources for the parents to borrow if they want to.

I've had lots of mini panics setting it all up but parents that I've spoken to seem very interested so hopefully it'll take off...I'll let you know!

I have been sending things home for three years :D Book bags (with a sketch pad for the children to draw their favourite part of the book, and a space for parents to comment).

So far we have had a few minor losses but the parents have been fantastic and replace or donate toys in place of the lost item.

Everything is fair game and the biggest thing to go home was the parachute and tent! :D It really has given us a fantastic link with the parents. (even if the comment first thing in the morning is 'here are the batteries, it drove me nuts' :o(alphabet caterpillar toy) )

I'm so glad it's working well for you too :)

Edited by Guest

i work in full day care and the parents (more the children!) can take home a story/story sack/

pc rom activities and also a bear with a book each week a children has to look after 'titch' and take him everywhere, the parents then write/photos/drawings of what he has been up to. this works really well and gives great conversation between the parent and staff and the child sharing what they have done to others in the group.

Guest DeborahF

Did you find that sometimes the parents get quite competitive about filling in the diary? We did this at my nursery and one Monday the diary came back with about six pages of A5 written by Mum about Scruffy's adventures over the weekend!!!! :o After that, the attitude seemed to be "I can write more than you" and it was taking us half the morning to read through it all. We also had some parents who were a real whizz with the digital camera and put in loads of photos. That's lovely when sharing the book with the child afterwards but we did feel it put a lot of pressure on parents who didn't want to contribute that much - when we started the second diary we made sure we told parents that we just needed a few brief notes to help us prompt thier child to tell us some stories about the weekend's adventures!!

at the beginning it was quite competitive ( a couple of years ago) but i brought a pocket size book and spoke to parents if they felt they didn't want to write just add a couple of photos or just use a page or two.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)