Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Another Toilet Traning Question!

Hello.

My friend is thinking of putting her son (2.7 years) into a local pre-school, as she has a young baby and feels that her son would benefit from mixing with other similar aged children before he goes to school.

She is concerned however that he is not toilet trained, and has heard from another parent of the pre-school that children who are not toilet trained will not be admitted.

I was wondering if this was right as I'm sure I've read elsewhere on here that children can not be denied access to provision on the basis that they are not toilet trained. If I didn't read it here, it is possible that I could have dreamed this!

Are the per-school owners within their rights to turn away a child from their setting if they are not toilet trained? My friend is really worried and is even talking about 'intensive toilet training', which although I don not agree with, she says she is finding it difficult with the two children at home on her own and she also doesn't feel that she can toilet train her son in an intensive way because of the care that both children need. Does that all make sense? I hope so!

We take children in nappies and will change them if they soil,sometimes even when they haven't if the child asks us to;even though it needs two members of staff. We also help potty-train if the parent aks us. We only take children at 2.9 months, if a child starts earlier a parent has to stay for the session.

Karrie

The Pre School in question will find that it is in breach of the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) if they refuse a child access to their group just because he/she is not toilet trained. The group needs to be made aware of their responsibilities under this legislation.

Sorry Clare, just read Peggy's links (albeit after I had added my reply) apologies for the duplicate info.

Very interesting thing about the DDA myhenroxanne, as our local school has a nursery unit and they won't take children who are in nappies even though they are 3 and on grants. I will have to investigate how they are getting away with it. we have a little boy who has been with us for 6months and is now 3 and should be going on to this nursery unit but because he is not dry they have said to keep him away until he is. so the mother is keeping him with us in September until he is dry then transfering him. you can imagine our comments !!!!!!! we do all the hard work and they get him later. :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)