Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Omelettes

Ok, this is really embarrassing!

I'm 24 years old and have never cooked an omelette. On my diet, eggs are free foods, so I can eat as many as I like. I fancied making an omelette for a change, but my one and only attempt meant it looked like burnt scrambled egg. :o

Cooking has never been my strong point, but if someone can point me in the right direction for omelette making, I will be ever so grateful!

Thanks!

Tiny bit of oil in pan, heat

Beat eggs together in a bowl / jug, (add salt & pepper to taste)

normally 2 to 3 eggs per person.

pour egg mix into oil, stir with fork

once it is almost set, spead it out to almost cover pan

then add choice of filling ( ie: cubed ham)

once the bottom is browned, fold over and serve

always tip out of pan onto plate, don't try to lift with spatula as it can then fall apart.

Peggy

(I'll be honest now and admit I didn't know either, I asked hubby before replying to your query :o )

Claire, if you put it under a preheated grill once it's set you get a nice puffed up and crispy omelette (bit like a souffle) 30 seconds -1 minute under a really hot grill, handle sticking out of grill obviously

B

With a bit of ketchup. I never have ketchup as I'm not a big fan of it at all, but I pretty much always have it with omlettes.

A few years ago I had an omlette in a sea-side restaurant in Fuerteventura, and they served it with garlic mayo - it was gorgeous.

Errrmmmm... xD

Not very well, to be honest Chocolate Girl! It still came out like burnt scrambled egg but with a bit of ketchup, it was kind of edible.

Still practice makes perfect so I'll just have to keep trying! :o

You are all making me hungry. some pans are just useless for omlettes and you may need quite abit of oil or marg. Olive oil burn at a fairly low temperature so you would be better with sunflower or soya.. Try a non-stick pan with a bit of marg in it. Don't have the pan too hot or it will stick straight away. Have th confidence to leave it to set as if you mess about with it too soon it will stick or disintegrate. they can be very hit and miss though as my famly will tell you.

Love Delia :o

I use butter in the pan, taking care not to burn it. Delia says to tip the egg mixture in (by the way when you break egg, only mix it slightly with a knife like the French), then draw the mixture in from the edges as it cooks. Like the idea of using the grill, will try that as I normally just turn it over for a minute.

Also, did a similar diet by the sound of things (go steady on the butter then) and was looking forward to eating lots of eggs then someone told me not to eat too many as they are high in cholesterol. Bother!!

Used to like mine poached too!

Keep trying!

Clare,

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away from here, someone called Sue used to be able to cook.......

need I say more! However, my point is, once you can make an omelette, it never leaves you, like falling off...Oops! No! RIDING... a bike! :o

I don't claim to have been perfect at omelettes but I always got pleasing and attractive results by doing the breaky-uppy thing (Peggy's husband is right, don't smash them to bits too soon), cooking on hob, add bits, stir a bit then bung under grill.

As hali says, Yummy!