Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Weekly Letter Session

At pre-school we have a weekly session with the older children to look at the letters of the alphabet. We have always worked from a through to z. I have noticed recently when I have been dropping off at a local authority nursery that they have a letter each week but not working through the alphabet from beginning to end. So I think they started with c and then I didn't notice for a while and then they did t and this week it is d. Is this a random choice by them or do they have a particular order for a particular purpose? Is it part of a scheme or something?

Linda

I'm not familiar with the order that you described, but we teach Jolly Phonics in reception class and the order is loosely based on which letters will be useful for word building most quickly, hence it starts satipn... quite a few words can be made even with these 6 letters. I know that PIPs suggests its own letter sequence, but I can't remember what it is, so perhaps they're following that?

Dianne xxx

The only sequence that I can remember ever using (many moons ago) was based on the way the letters are written rather than anything to do with how they sound

So we started with c a o d s q and then moved onto h r n m etc. But I think the jolly phonics approach seems to make more sense.

Pips suggests the following order :

s, m, c, t, g, h

l, n, d, k, sh, ch,

a, e, i, o, u

v, w, x, y, z

Pips follows this order because it concentrates on hearing sounds at the beginning of words, then at the end of words, and then being able to sound out all sounds in cvc words.

Jolly Phonics introduces vowels earlier so that children can build up and read words quite early on. s, t, a, m, p, i - (not necessarily the first letters) - gives sat, sit, mat, tap, pin, pat, is, at etc.

Pips also says children should have lots of experience of listening to/discriminating general sounds - environmental, instrumental, body percussion etc. and speech sounds (ooooooooo, ahahahahahaha etc) as a precursor to learning letter sounds and names. I think!!

Harricroft

Thanks for all your replies. I have a feeling it must be Letterland as I have seen other resources regarding this around the nursery.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)