Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

I have been in child care 26years,first doing my nneb in 1980 then updating my qualification by doing a nvq 3 in 1996. I go on a course every half term to keep upto date in practises etc.

I run a pre-school with 10 staff.

I have just come back from a meeting stating all day care settings will have to have a graduate running it by 2015. transformation fund

Please help me what do I do?

I have a teacher on my staff altho only a year of early years experience.

Do I wait 9 years and then hand it over to her or indeed employ another teacher specially?

Do I sit back and let ayounger more academic member of staff do the training and stand down or leave after 4 years?

Do I do the training?

Its not that Im lazy I love my job but my children have all grown now! I am spending quality time with my hubby(we had children from day one of our marriage very young)My work already takes up so much of my time.

After 4 years will there be enough funding to pay me a teachers wage? there are no guarantees.

on eof the ways to pay us a graduate wage is by having the ratio 1 -13 like a reception class.(stated in the new guidelines of which i have already responded stongly too!!)which would mean getting rid of staff to pay my wages! we never have a big turn over!

im terrible at making decisions,feeling really confused and miserable :o

if you do it because you want to do it - go for it you will not regret it, if you do the degree because you feel you have to - dont. I have just finished my 1st year did my nneb in 1988 and run a pre chool with 8 staff, i have loved doing it but it takes up a lot of spare time at home getting assignments done. Good luck in your decision. :D

Wow, what a decision you have to make :o - I too asked the Forum advice when I was considering the degree, I have been offered a place in September, I have just finished NVQ3, have five children, 3 horses, hate taking any time away from family life, co-run a nursery with a friend we have 5 staff, I found it hard to make the decision and have gone ahead on the premise that if I don't give it a go, I may regret it -

but your experience in the field is so much more than mine, what a shame a qualification will make a difference to someone like you who has worked for that length of time and obviously is just as qualified more so probably as some people who have achieved their degree! xD

You need an award for your dedication and commitment - do they do a degree in that?

Not really fair is it, hopefully the advice will keep coming but ultimately your decision has to be right for you, if you decide to do it at least you know you will have the forum for support. :)

I too are in a similar position, I took the city & guilds 0 to 8yrs, that wasent enough, then I took NVQ3, thats not not going to be enough and all the small courses in between, playwork ect

I have been in childcare, playgroups, nurseries ect for 30 years I have decided not to take it, but when the time comes retire. If I were younger I think I would take it

I think maybe you are a lot younger the I am and if you dont take it, may regret that desicion, why not give it a go? you can always walk away from it having tried

I am sorry I cant be any more help but to say I know how you feel and GOOD LUCk !

Hi Andreamay - I can empathise with you entirely - NNEB in 1979, have worked in childcare since then, in both schools, home (childminding whilst my girls were little), special needs, residential care, and now Pre School - have kept up to date with training, now Supervise a Pre School with 7 staff etc. etc. I have had exactly the same thoughts - my family too are growing up and do I really want to start again? Let me know if you make a decision - as I too am wondering where do I go from here?

How ironic that the new age discrimination law has recently been so prolific in the news, yet, here is a clear example of just that. :o I too feel I am at the latter years of my professional life, but don't want to give up yet, but what do I do?

Well, not quite discrimination because the requirment to have a 'Teacher' or 'graduate' is not mandatory. ( see my other posts on CWDC - entitled Training policy in light of CWDC requirements). Basically I asked CWDC if it would be a statutory requirement to have a graduate / teacher leading the preschool in 2015, their response was no, it is just about raising the standards of good practice. I 'm still not sure if Ofsted will make these qualifications a requirment in their standards though.

I am similar to you Andreamay, 20+ yrs in the profession, continually updating qualifications only to find after a few years that they are valid for certain positions but not enough to continue at the 'head' of my business.

Even though CWDC say that degree's etc will not be mandatory, the 'social' pressure will dictate who I employ relevant to qualifications, this takes away my choice of employee who is the "best person for the job" .

The cost implications to small businesses, and therefore sustainability, are what can only be described as insecure, even with the transformation fund.

When I was at school, Iused to believe that further education was just that, people went to college / university to gain further knowledge, when I realised that people learn in different ways and that you could gain knowledge and expertise through 'practical' on the job experience supplimented with self study and self research, plus some academic input through short courses I became ( and still am to a degree) embittered that my worth is not seen as equal to 'academic' graduate qualifications.

I have this internal argument with myself, that is still not resolved, Do I get a higher qualification? A degree? Then I ask myself why would I? I can only think of 2 answers and neither of them is that I would necessarily gain more knowledge.

1/ To prove my worth, to all people who judge your worth through what paper qualifications you have and who discriminate against you if you haven't got the qualification.

2/ To hopefully ( because life is never fully secure) maintain my business financially by not having to pay for someone to work for me simply because they have a degree, which deems them better able to do the job than I am able to.

At the present time these are the only motivators to get a degree, at considerable cost both in terms of money and time. I am an avid supporter of continuous professional development, of adult education and of the importance of keeping up to date with all the theoretical and practical knowledge, skills and attitudes we need to have to 'do a good job'. However, I feel angry that because I have chosen not to conform to the political / social measure of worth given with such qualifications I now face discrimination in terms of job / professional future prospects.

Our British education system is corrupt in terms of fair market forces, because it is not just about increasing peoples knowledge, it is about addressing employment issues. NVQ was not about giving worth to peoples 'practical' abilities, it was about reducing the unemployment figures. The future requirements of having graduates and teachers in preschools is not about, as **research supposedly say's, raising the quality of childrens early years experiences, it is about the diminishing birth rate, and the threat of closure of many schools unless they expand their provision to include under 5's. Alongside these graduate requirements, the Funding for children under 5 is not about giving parents more choice and children access to free early years education, it is about ensuring the 'maintained' sector becomes the strongest and inevitably the only sector able to survive financially in providing for under 5's, thus threatening what they actually say the funding is for. ( free choice)

Sorry to get on my soapbox again, I can only answer your question with a question, what will motivate you to do a degree? I still haven't answered the argument in my head, I have bolshy days when I think yeh, I'll do it, just to show 'them' I can ( by 'them' I mean actual people who have shown subtle discrimination towards me, because I do not have a degree, when I was employed by the local education authority), then I have other days when I think, no, I just want to retire, spend more time with my hubby, work as a foster carer and get out of the Preschool business altogether before it ruins me both emotionaly and financialy.

Then again, I think how proud I would be if I did achieve a degree, because deep down, due to my upbringing I suppose, I would like to be less cynical and would still like to think that by doing a degree I will gain in knowledge and that myself and others would benefit from this increased wisdom. ( I really do struggle with this notion though, especially as I do have confidence, knowledge and self worth not to have to 'prove' myself to anybody else).

Peggy

**research supposedly say's raising the quality of childrens early years experiences - I say supposedly, because research is only useful for the people who finance / ask for it. I have been an 'educator' and 'carer' to over 500+ children in my years in the profession, if a research was carried out on the impact of their 'early years experiences' then I am sure I could hold my head up high to their subsequant progress. ( ooh, I don't mean to sound big headed, I did not do it alone, taking into account their parents and other influencial adults in their lifes at that time, I believe they have all 'achieved' in their own unique ways)

If I am honest, I was a lazy so and so between the ages of 18 and 21 and attempted to do my level 3 loads of times during that time. Once I was pregnant, I decided to go for it and I'm really pleased I did. Now I'm going to do the FD in October, part of my reason for that is that I knew once I did my level 3 I wouldn't want to stop there. I am 24 now and although I know I'm still quite young, I dont want to leave any further qualifications any later, because I know I'll get to a situation where I'm worried about whether I could squeeze it all in what with family commitments etc.

Luckily my boyfriend's job is quite flexible so he can look after Natalie when I need to go to Uni. My new employers have offered me shifts that fit in with Uni and my gym commitments (they are truly wonderful!).

I know it's going to be hard work, but I'm really looking forward to it. I would agree with what others have said and do it because you want to, otherwise, the chances are, you might drop out and lose out on all the money it costs. Sorry, another consideration!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

We had a visitor yesterday who is starting the Early childhood degree in September and is totally skipping the Foundation Degree (she has been asked to produce a portfolio of evidence as a substitute for 2 years study???) has anyone heard of this?

I started a foundation degree three years ago with over twenty years of childcare experience under my belt. It has been the best thing I could possibly have done. Yes I had the experience but I definately feel it has helped me to become a better practitioner by having the academic knowledge to back it up. It has added a depth to my practice. I was very sceptical before I started and didn't think it would add anything other than give me a piece of paper. So I would say to any of you hesitating ......Do it...its a lot of hard work but worth it.

oh peggy thank you so much :) All of what you said is what i am battling with.days when I will just to prove i can,days when i think I'll just go back to childminding or nannying when the time comes.days when i think why should I hand it to somebody to do my job just cos they have a degree but will expect double the money!

Surestart cheshire hav definatly told us it will effect our funding eventually if we dont have a graduate running the pre-school.

I am going to apply for the quality premium fund but sit and wait to see what happens about a degree for now.Well that s todays decision anyhow :o

oh peggy thank you so much :) All of what you said is what i am battling with.days when I will just to prove i can,days when i think I'll just go back to childminding or nannying when the time comes.days when i think why should I hand it to somebody to do my job just cos they have a degree but will expect double the money!

Surestart cheshire hav definatly told us it will effect our funding eventually if we dont have a graduate running the pre-school.

I am going to apply for the quality premium fund but sit and wait to see what happens about a degree for now.Well that s todays decision anyhow :o

Do you know what, deep down, I think I will end up doing it in the near future, even if it's just to do it alongside my daughter ( who is much younger and will certainly need it to enable career progression - a worthy reason to ignore the giant chip on my shoulder about 'academic' judgements etc). I may look at doing a full degree rather than the Foundation degree.

Actually I did find one a while back which was entirely internet based, it was a research degree, candidates could choose their own subject, to research any aspect of their working environment ( so it wasn't just for early years anyone working in any profession could and do do it) I think I got a leaflet about it. Apparently many school TA's and Nursery people are doing it, it sounded good as it's main focus is 'reflective practice' which is what the early years is becoming more about these days, what with QA schemes etc. The leaflet came through the post and is currently 'hiding' in my many piles ( or hidden in cupboards) filing. I will search it out during the Summer Hols and let you know about it, if you like.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)