Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Please

Not at all sure this is the right place for this post, but here goes.

I was approached by our head at the end of school today to ask my opinion on our local playgroup moving onto school premises. (we knew it was being talked about) - she is now apparantly planning for playgroup to move into our current Foundation Stage classroom, them to move up into what is at present a 'spare room' (much less wet area, no access to outdoor provision) etc. We had planned (with her!) for Y1 to be in 'spare classroom' to share access to Continous provision & outdoor area as part of our transition work.

I just feel like we've planned a good basis for transition to start in Sept (with EY advisor input) for that to be undone 2 weeks before end of term. There are huge implications for FS moving classroom in terms of outdoor access (although it can be built in near Y1/2 rooms), wet area (almost non-existent in 'spare room'), cloakrooms etc. PLus the fact that our new starters have been in to meet their new teacher & get used to new classroom, and don't think it is fair to them that they then turn up in September to find they're in a different place.

I'm in the middle of my 'pro's and con's' list at the moment - just wondered if people had any avice, ideas etc... or am I getting stressed over this for no reason??!!

Thanks in advance

(p.s. I'm not against playgroup moving onto site, just not sure about time scale and using a classroom for this - feel mobile unit would be more beneficial to all, with separate access etc)

I am a preschool wanting to move onto a school site, so I can now see both sides. It must be frustrating to plan for, and get children ready for something that now may not occur.

Has your head said that plans will be finalised by september, it does seem a quick time scale. I thought there would be lots of things to sort out, even before registration with ofsted occurs, and this can take up to 6 months to finalise.

Hopefully timescale will be longer and you can have more input and discussions with the preschool people before the change occurs.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Peggy.

I think head is aware that this will take time, but is looking for classroom changes to be made for September so children don't need to move at any time during the year.

She seems keen to have them on site, but wants nothing to do with running it etc. Also says that any work Playgroup want doing on their 'room' is for them to fund - not sure how that works if they are renting from us???? All too complicated for this late in the year - my head is swimming!

Hi,

In our area, we used to offer support for 'daycare expansion' where playgroups would be funded to move into schools and extend their sessions into full daycare or at least school hours daycare.

The timescale does seem a bit sudden, and as Peggy said, Ofsted registration can take up to six months, so wouldn't be optimistic for a September start.

With regards to who does what with the room etc.... the school and playgroup would enter into a Service Level Agreement which would be a legally binding contract stating what rent is to be paid over what period, who carries out maintenance, repairs and renewals, decorating etc. It is really important to have these discussions now before the playgroup comes in as their expectations may be different to the schools and you want to keep everything open and transparent.

We had a private provider on school site offering after school care and the problems that arose regarding rent and who needed to sort out security alarms was a nightmare and as a result there is a very strained working relationship.

Your concerns re classroom suitability for your school aged children are relevant and appropriate. You do not want to be working in disadvantagous circumstances. it sounds as if you head has not really thought through all the implications. I would get back to her stressing what you see to be th environment disadvantages and hope she will come up with something better.

If the playgroup already exists in another location, does the Ofsted timescale still stand?

Re - Ofsted timescale - I would assume that it would be taken as a new registration as the new space would need to be registered and policies and procedures updated to reflect the new location. Unless they put it through as a variation for a change of location?

However, as an existing provider, they would not have to go through suitable person interview, so six months would be extreme for this, but I couldn't see it happening for September.

You never know with Ofsted!

Thanks for all the replies.

Heard today that the head is leaving it up to FS teacher and myself to chose our classrooms for September... but also heard from Preschool owner (her son is in my class this year) that they are moving in in January all being well (after meeting with head and development officer)... so communication is as good as ever as this means we have no choice of classrooms unless we want to move at Christmas.

I guess this takes our Transition plans back to the drawing board whether we like it or not!

Role on the holidays!

Communication, communication - always causes so many problems - cannot offer you any advice really - seems to me that if she has not co-ordinated with you until this late stage and let's face it we all have long lead in times for lots of things then this seems to have been done a bit on the hop and needs a bit of co-ordination between everyone so that everyone is on board who might be affected. But hey who am I sitting somewhere else - but it just always seems so obvious to ensure that everyone has their say rather than being faced with a fait accompli. anyway term nearly over, summer holidays here.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)