Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Morning Entry To Class In Reception

I was wondering what other recep. teachers do first thing in the morning - at my last school the parents dropped the children into class from 8.45 onwards, & we started the day by choosing activities. I used to moan about starting my day before everyone else but the children were almost all happy in the morning.

This year we have lined up in the playground at 9.00 and come in for registration. A few of the children have started crying at this time since Christmas, and I think we would benifit from doing a more informal entry.

I just thought it may help me to get it right if other people could share what they do in the mornings!

Thanks very much, Dianne xxx

Hi Dianne

In my Unit we begin the year with parents bringing the children in from the playground, where other year groups line up. They help their children in, hang up coats, sort out lunch boxes, snacks, PE kit, reading folder etc, help their children self register by posting their name card into a tin. Then most children settle on the carpet for a carpet session with the teacher. Occasionally parents stay on a little time to help strugglers. We have a class bear, Spencer, who goes to sit with anyone feeling particularly stressed or sad. After Christmas we asked parents to encourage their children to line up with other classes (as they have been doing at the end of morning break) and to encourage them to come in independently. We have said that where children don't yet feel ready to do this parents are welcome to continue to help. The numbers coming in independently are increasing steadily each week. So far it has been unstressful. Our hope is that by the Summer term all the children will be able to manage independently.

Hope this helps!

Angela

Hi

In our school all the children wait with their parents and we open the doors at 8.45... the children in year 1 and 2 are encouraged to come in alone and have problem solving activities, handwriting and the likes. In reception parents are welcomed into the classrooms and the children have activities on the tables to choose from... they also have to find their name cards and put it on the relevant dinner board. This encourages parents to discuss issues with the staff and creates an atmosphere where the parents feel welcome in school.

Lorna :o

Our children come in at 8.45 with their parents and after self registering, choose an activity. Parents generally leave by 9.10. We call this first session 'settling time' and it has a flexible time span, sometimes continuing until 9.30, as we have found it a useful time to do incidental observations or spend time with particular children or groups if they have specific needs. In the Summer term when we are building in our transition stage to Year 1, we move the children away from self registration and onto whole class registration time, on the carpet. So far, this has worked well with our children, but every class is different and the pre-school experiences of children are perhaps the most important factor to consider when planning a morning routine?

We had our first informal entry today - mixed results, I think, but I was generally pleased! I had a letter of complaint from a parent who thinks this is a step backwards for the children (You can't please everyone!) and some of the parents were reluctant to leave at all. Still, there were no tears this morning, and that's the most important thing to me!

Love Dianne xxx :D

To Dianne,

I am the supervisor of a pre-school. We of course have informal entry. The children self register with their name . I then do the register A.S.A.P. informally. I think it is a very good idea to allow parents into the classroom in the morning untill the child is settled. I think the child will know when it's ready to be left at the door. We have some rising 5's that ask their parents to leave them at the door.

At the moment we have 3 parents that just moan all the time. They don't make formal complaints just sarcastic comments. Never mind we can't please everyone.

Absolutely Bubblejack.

In many situations we'll find that whatever decision we make will upset/offend a percentage of the parents. There are so many parents who think there is only one way to care for children, and that is their way...

If you've got less tears Dianne, I reckon you're on the right track! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)