Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rubbish Dilemma

Hi everyone

Anyone any suggestions for this next issue we are faced with -

Rubbish! - and what to do with it!

We are a pre school who use our local church hall facilities - and since we opened our day to day rubbish is tied up in black bags, and put outside in the covered bin store, awaiting collection from the 'bin men' once a week - no problem - until last week . . .

our local borough council are getting very big on recycling at the moment, and as a consequence now have an issue with collecting rubbish from the bin store, and an issue with black plastic bags. However, when the 'church' asked for wheelie bins (like all local domestic premises are being issued with) we were told that we are not entitled to a bin, and that really the 'bin men' shouldn't be collecting rubbish from the church because the church don't pay rates?! So now we have nowhere to put our rubbish. We were informed that we would have to take it home with us to put into our domestic bins?!

Considering that 5 out of our 7 staff can walk to work, it seem we will have to use cars if we are to bring rubbish home with us . . .and now we have the added problem that our domestic waste has to be sorted into separate bags and boxes for paper, cardboard, plastic etc - can you imagine sifting through pre school waste at home?????? to sort into recycling bags?

Any helpful advice?

Have thought about introducing recycline into pre school, but we have nowhere now to store our waste?

Help!

Do any of your parents live nearby; perhaps they will let you put recycling in their bins. Our children know to put paper into the recycling bin at our nursery. I have also heard of one nursery who took the children in turn to the recycling centre once a week.

we work from a hall and we are the same. I generally take it home and just put it in my household bin, even though we have recycling bins.. you could maybe have just a bag for the paper and card and the rest goes in the other bin. I sometimes sneak a bag up to the rectory and put it in their bin if its particularly smelly so I don't have to put it in the car.

We run from a community hall and a few weeks ago we asked for a recycling bin as we only had one of those biffa bins! The next day the bin men came and took the biffa bin away and said that we were not entitled to it and if we kept it, we would have to pay to have the rubbish taken away! BUT he was really nice and gave us two bins, one for normal rubbish and one for recycling which is collected in the normal way.

I run from a scout hall, we have never had collection from refuse men because the scouts do not have wheelie bins ( no where to store them securly).

Initially, as the owner, I used to take the black sacks (all rubbish, including nappies) home, I was not entirely happy about this. So then we introduced recycle to the preschool, we have 2 bins, one for waste, one for recycle ( these are in the kitchen with lids). I continued to take the waste sack home.

Then when I put a manger in ( I no longer go in every day) I informed the scouts that the staff contracts does not include removal of waste, and as the landlords it is their responsibility. So now they do it.

Recycling in stored in a bin in the kitchen, lined with recycle bag, and used for art & craft.

Peggy

We too are in a church hall and used to have black bin bags outside at the rear of the church. This caused a great deal of grief because the crows used to rip the bags. Wrappers, food etc. blew everywhere which caused the neighbours to complain (understandably). We now have 2 bins, 1 normal and the other recyclable.

At first we thought it would be a pain, but you soon get used to it. We have normal bin in the kitchen and large pedal bin next to it. We just empty them every couple of days outside in wheelie bins. When it comes to nappies, the parents take them home in a double wrapped carrier bag, but we hardly ever get these.

We weren't allowed oversized bins, otherwise we would have to pay a business rate, which we just couldn't afford.

We have a contract with Cleanaway to take our rubbish away. Its collected once a week from the pre-school gate. They charge about £1.80 for each of their blue bags so we cram a couple of black sacks into a blue bag each week.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)