Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With Foundation Degree

I am really interested in doing the foundation degree but am very confused by it all!!! Can somebody explain what it involves, how long it takes, how much it costs and when do the fees need to be paid? Also at the end of it what does it giv me???

Hi.

I have just signed up to do the Foundation Degree and this is the information I have from the University I will be going to:

It takes 2 years (full time). I am doing it 1 evening per week and 1 Saturday per month and this is classed as full time. The cost of each year is £720 if you are an English student. Fees have to be paid on enrolment which is taking place in August/September this year. The course starts in October.

On top of the actual 'in class' studying, I was told that a minimum of 15 hours home study is expected, as well as reading vast amounts of material. I was also told that the standard is similar to the writing in textbooks, which kind of frightened me a bit, to be honest!

I have found some information for you that might give you a better idea. Some universities are dishing out laptops, or the fees may be cheaper/more expensive. I think it varies from place to place. I am not going to this Uni, I am doing mine through Roehampton, but the web page I wanted to show you isn't available at this time :o !

Foundation Degree Information

Hope it helps!

Edited by Clare

Hi,

I have just finished my 1st year. I am doing a surestart endorsed FD at my local college, cost of course for us is £1300 each year of which i got half paid for by bursery. We go once a week 2 -8pm and do one sat each term 10 -1pm. It is hard work but excellent fun also. I spent about average 6 - 10 hrs each week at home depending if an assignment was due in or not. Assignments are varied from essays to practicals, and i have learnt a lot about being a reflective practitioner.

I would say go for it you wont regret it. :D:D:D:D

I think the exact content of modules varies from provider to provider. I think the important thing is to make sure that wherever you choose to study the degree is DfES/Surestart sector-endorsed. There were (not sure if this is still the case) some universities that offered foundation degrees that are not endorsed.

I am coming to the end of mine and have studied it part time with the Open University and am now doing the final course which finishes in February 07.

With regard to costs/funding again this varies. With the OU you pay for each course as you do it and you can choose how long you take to complete the degree. You can also opt to open a budget account where the cost of the course is split over the duration and you pay monthly.

Some students have received help with funding from their employers, local EYDCP or the DfES.

I was one of the ones who got the laptop and some funding back in 2003 and though the criteria for being eligible for DfES funding has changed there is still funding available but I think it is income related.

I certainly echo Hali's thoughts in saying go for it you won't regret it :D I have thoroughly enjoyed my study and discovered so much.

HOW MUCH!!!! :o

I have just looked at my costs with the OU and the total for all 6 courses leading to the foundation degree comes to £2155.

I received funding for the first 2 courses (just under £500 total). I also got a bursary for £1000 (£500 a year for the first 2 years) which I have used to pay for the other courses - in total in has personally cost me around £700.

At £3000 a year that's horrific, xD are you doing it over 2 years meaning a total of £6000 :(:(:(

Wonder why costs vary soooo much :wacko:

I have applied for the Transformation fund and am awaiting replies, although to be fair they have suggested I should get considerable help (they agreed the course was expensive)

- and yes it's £3,000 a per year with an opportunity to BA (hons) it on the third year for the bargain price - you guessed it £3,000, :( so in total £9,000 for a degree - bargain :oxD:(

Just really hoping I get lots of help otherwise there is no way I can do it, fingers crossed, I really am keen so I will be begging from all the relevant places. Good luck everyone who is trying to get funding.

you may be able to get funding from surestart for your setting - transformation fund £3,000-£5,000

Hi, how would I go about this? I have checked out the Sure Start site but am getting confused with all the jargon! Does it matter that I am yet to start at my new job? Do you have to be there for a specific amount of time before you can apply or be considered? I can't apply for funding through the DfES because you have to prove your income and unfortunately, I can't do that.

Is there anywhere else I could try?

Clare you may need to approach your new employer about this transformation fund, they can benefit as they will be paid for your time out of the setting,(supply cover) and there other advantages on offer to them, maybe ask them if they have been notified about the training fund from Surestart?

Checking out the Surestart site yesterday, I found that the person 'in charge' in our area happens to be my new boss!! I'm going in on Monday to settle Natalie in, so I will ask about the transformation fund. I won't be out of nursery to attend college though, as classes are taking place of an evening!

Does all depend what area you are in Marion, 9 of us did it this year and we have all paid different amounts some none some half depending on what authority you work in and funds available....

Think it probably does. I know the school recieved funding to cover supply for the days she had to attend and also for me as her mentor. She also got a laptop provided as someone already mentioned.

Think it probably does. I know the school recieved funding to cover supply for the days she had to attend and also for me as her mentor. She also got a laptop provided as someone already mentioned.

Just having a browse with my bank about Student Loans and they asked me for a UCAS number. Does anyone know what this is? I didn't apply through UCAS for my course so I don't have a number. Tried their website to see if the course had a code, thinking that might be it, and have looked on the college site. I applied independently and I don't get what these numbers are!!!

Thanks Hali! I was doing it online and it wouldn't go through without it. It's such hard work isn't it? All this money truoble before you even get there! Thanks for a speedy reply, I knew it would be you with your expertise in this area!! :D

Hi

It does seem to vary depending on where you are how much time you spend in college. I wanted to do the degree but in our area you have to spend mondays 1pm till 8pm in college along with wednesday mornings 9am till 1.30pm, as a manager of a pre-school i couldn't cover myself at the pre-school for these hours every week, i would be quite happy to do it evenings or weekends but this isn't available in my area. With travelling time which takes 45mins to get to college i would have to take 2 days out of the pre-school every week.

Hello there is also a minimum amount of hours you have to be at work which is considered study time, work based too. For me, studying fulltime this meant 20hours, part time 10 hours. You have to have proof from your employer. With the time taken out for college this meant some students fell below their 20 hours and had to make up the time. I did the Surestart sector endorsed foundation degree.

As far as funding goes I was lucky enough that my employer paid my fees which were £1115 each year. In return they recieved £500 mentor costs and I qualified for local burseries from the EY dept as an adult learner etc. In fact over the three years (I went on to do a top up to a BA hons) my employers paid no more than £500, and one year I think they were in pocket!!! As I applied for every grant going!

S

Hey guys thanks for all the replies - definatley appealing to me!!! It's just where to start looking. When you have completed I hear it can lead you onto to Teacher training - any ideas? :D

Hey guys thanks for all the replies - definatley appealing to me!!! It's just where to start looking. When you have completed I hear it can lead you onto to Teacher training - any ideas? :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)