Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fire Safety Law

Guest JPH

evee, was there a cost for your training?

Peggy

Hi. It was free by Surestart. I've seen some very expensive courses.

The people that did it were the Emergency Response Training. they gave us a number to contact if we need to so they may be able to give you more info on it. I don't know if I am allowed to add the number on here (forum rules?0 but will pm you if you want with it

:)

• 1 month later...

I had a consultant come out from the Fire Service today, with regards to the new Fire Regulations. He went round the whole building with me in detail, and told me which things needed changing in order to meet the new regulations. He brought along a Fire Risk Assessment, and filled it out with me.

It was really really useful - and free!

He is going to check on our progress in 28 days!

Hi,

We had a visit from our fire marshall. He looked at my fire drill and related docs, but said as I have over 5 staff I have to provide documented in house training for all the staff about all the equipment and fire procedures, as well as a very detailed fire assessment.

Net x

That's interesting net. My procedure is "get out" and not attempt to fight the fire, have to give it a re-look, mind you i've only got myself and 1 other employee.

Does he not see carrying out fire drills as in house training?

Will have to consider adding this to my induction list.

Thanks for the info.

Peggy

I Know peggy.

We have 2 fire drills per half term, which the staff know about and 2 they don't. I like the element of surprise.

I use a long rope that all the children have to hold onto, to take them out of the building. and I use a whistle to alert the children.

All fire drills are recorded and all staff have their delegated roles but apparently I have to have this all on paper.

Net x

Hi everyone

Have attached a blank copy of the 'Risk assessment - record of significant findings' form I've just typed, taken from the 147 page document kindly supplied by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister - bless him!

It's more or less an exact copy, just one or two bits added. It's in Excel.

Thought someone might find it useful. We just plan to type in our findings. Spent all morning last Friday wadeing though the first 47 pages of the above document in an effort to kick start the process.

We have no currently trained staff (ie Fire Marshall) but luckily one of our Mum's is now working for her father who does this sort of thing for a living and she is currently on some course or other so we will type it up and ask her to let us know what she thinks.

Hope it helps.

Deb

Fire_Risk_Assessment___Record_of_significant_findings.xls