Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning A New Topic On Shopping

Hi

Hope everyone is well and not too overwhelmed at this point in the term..... :o

Am thinking about planning for next year (why???!). We have in the past done a short topic on houses and homes to cover the 'sense of place' strand of the curriculum with our Reception classes. However, we now can't do this as it treads on Y1's toes and the children (shocking, I know), know some things about houses and homes when they get to Y1, and obviously we can't have that!

So, anyway, thought we could so a topic on shopping instead as we are a town centre-ish school. Does anyone have any good suggestions for planning I could look at and /or big books or something else that we could use as a starting point - we usually base each week around a shared text.

Hope you've got more ideas than me!

Thanks for your help, :)

Sarah

x

Don't Forget the bacon by Pat hutchins spring to mind along with shopping lists, recipes, go to a shop and buy ingredients to make bread or soup to go with the harvest time,

Sure others will think of some good ideas.

Lynda :)

I empathise Sarah, I had that problem at my last school!

We covered the sense of place bit in the summer term and looked at the world around us--shops, parks etc.

Not got any great ideas a the moment but will have a think.

Which are your local supermarkets or other stores? I'm just thinking you could get some of their magazines ( ie: Sainsbury's or B&Q) and use this opportunity for children to use 'reference' literature. Maybe look at and choose (small) items to purchase, and for example sainsburys magazine would have recipes for extension activities.

I think it is sad / shocking that plans have to be adapted because of adult planning needs instead of following childrens next steps from 'what they already know'.

Peggy

There is a good pelican big book called "Going Shopping; Seeing Print" that gives loads of examples of environmental print in a shopping centre. It follows a family as they go to John Lewis, Bear Factory etc to get the things on their list. Nice if you need a non-fiction text - my children loved it.

You can get it on Amazon here

How about designing a shopping bag- could do 2D collage or 3D simple net. Also another idea I've heard of is taking digital photos of familiar local shops and stick on to cereal boxes,etc to make a model town. I'm a bit stuck for book ideas can only think of 'Stone Soup' and 'Don't put ketchup on your cornflakes'

Bunny cakes by Rosemary wells is great for shopping and has great links to writing (and earthworm cakes :o )

I think shopping will be an exciting topic as you can link in different types of shops, money and Christmas shopping!

What about shopping for a party? children could make lists for the party and then go to buy.

I had a structured play supermarket a few times but this last year I did a mini topic on shoes and we had a shoe shop. There are pet shops, toy shops etc....

Have fun

M

Just remembered - www.sparkebox.co.uk (or com) have some lovely resources for a supermarket structured play which you can download for a very small fee. (think there is shoe shop too)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)