Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Willow Dens And Wildlife Gardens

Hi

Does anyone know of a willow artist based in or near County Durham who could come and build a willow den? I have no idea of cost so would be interested in this as well.

We are also interested in setting up a wildlife area and would be interested in any ideas for this.

Thanks caroline

Hi

Went on a fantastic course earlier this year - team of us to make 'large scale' constructions. Gave a really good insight into what was involved. Be aware that some of these courses are designed for small scale - basket etc. which is cool if that is what you want - but not good for 'den' making, etc.

Steve Pickup

The Willow Bank

Ragmans Lane Farm,

Lower Lydbrook,

Glos.

GL17 9PA

He will be able to put you in touch re: cost & possible contacts.

Willow you construct in the winter months - feb time. I worked for Artist in Schools who had a willow artist working for them. Daily rate was £175 per day + materials.

Hope this helps ..... web can extend on ideas!

Skylight

If you type Living Willow uk into your search engine you will come up with several companies which provide services or kits. They start at £58 for a simple igloo. You plant anytime from November to Feb.

I am working (supply part-time) in a wonderful Children's Centre which has sevaral types of igloo, a living willow fence around their astro-turf area and some tunnels. Now they have grown with leaves they look fantastic and the children love them. They were playing 'caravan park' in them the other day. They also have a wild-life area which in practice is the way the outdoor area is designed with grassy hillocks, lots of very large tree trunks, piles of small branches and small logs, a wild flower area and lots of small bushes and trees such as oak, apples, pears, plums etc. They also grow currants, have a herb garden, and strawberries, tomatoes, courgettes. In raised palnting boxes we have beans growing as we have been doing Jack and the Beanstalk. Some of the planted play area has different sorts of tall grasses, corn etc with different heights and textures- absolutely lovely and very tactile. i think it is fabulous. It attracts small creatures and insects. This is right in the centre of a busy built up town.

whoops sorry plantin boxes not painting :o

sounds fantastic! A setting truely after my own hart. Never heard of growing currants (don't mean to sound stupid - but is that grape vines?)

sounds fantastic! A setting truely after my own hart. Never heard of growing currants (don't mean to sound stupid - but is that grape vines?)

Currants grow on little shrubs. My dad used to grow loads and they were a real pain to pick and prepare. You need so many for one pie! :o

Hi

Does anyone know of a willow artist based in or near County Durham who could come and build a willow den? I have no idea of cost so would be interested in this as well.

We are also interested in setting up a wildlife area and would be interested in any ideas for this.

Thanks caroline

Hi Caroline we used an artist called Ruth Thompson from Hexham to build our willow structure. I havent got her number or email handy but will add it as soon as I locate it.

I live in Bournemouth, and in the Adult Education Classess brochure that just came through the door, there is a course that teaches you how to do it yourself. There is also one for driftwood sculptures. It was cheap too.

Worth having a look through your one??

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)