Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playing With Sounds V Jolly Phonic

Hi

I attended an early years meeting recently, and there were a few hints made:

1. The new Early Years Foundation Stage document is not well written, has some good elements. We should all make comments on it before the end of July via the Primary Stategy Website

2. The Rose report has helped decide that we should use one program of phonics not two or more.

As the new Early Years FS document lays the phonics out according to Playing with Sounds does this mean we are encuraged to use this program alone???

Would be interested to hear what others think!

I have used playing with sound along side JP in that I teach in the playing with sounds order rather than the JP order but still use the JP actions to help the children remember. Personally I like playing with sound activities and the progression.

School I will be working at uses JP alone. I have been on the look out for courses/ training on phonics (for the obvious reason it being the starting point etc) and to improve my teaching of.

I am amazed at how hard it is to find any courses or training in this area - unless in book or dvd format! Self study is o.k - but nothing quite beats that objective imput and advise of whether you are teaching it correctly. Especially as it is such a hot subject. Does this illustrate (governing bodies) confusion of the way forward?!

Guest tinkerbell

I'm with Marion on this one .I use both.

The order Playing with sounds and the JP actions .

Tinkerbellx

thats the way Ive worked this year and it seems to have worked just as well as the JP order

If Im still around in September we will be adopting Foundations of Literacy too so will teach sounds then teach how to write them later.

Edited by Marion

Marion does that mean you might be going somewhere??????

Thanks for the advice anyway. :)

I applied for another school its Foundation Stage/Key stage 1 and ICT co ordinators post carrying a TLR closer to home etc etc( basically more money for doing roughly what Im doing right now) Have been invited to interview on Thursday but after a look around the school and long talks with my own head and deputy head I have just informed the other school I wish to withdraw Hope Ive done the right thing :o

Ive just ordered L is for sheep (getting ready for phonics) focus on the current debate/Rose report etc and suggestions for multi sensory ideas /activites due to arrive sometime early August will let everyone know if it helps.

Edited by Marion

Hi Marion,

You'll know in your heart if you have done the rigth thing!!

Sometimes you feel you wear so many hats for so little appreciation!

You have a good unit, and some lovely staff where you are, that's a real bonus.

Thanks everyone I think Ive done the right thing for me :)

Can I just throw in we introduced VCOP in our literacy and our KS2 SATs have trebled my class love the idea of using ambitious vocabulary in their writing and its certainly made them think.

VCOP????

You thought long and hard about applying in the first place, better to have applied and to withdraw than not apply and regret it. At least you have a good application letter in place, well done!

i seem to at odds with everyone else as i followed the JP progression and used playing with sounds to back it up. I thiught it worked brillianntlt and the children began to blend and read much quicker this year. they also loved the songs and keep asking me why we dont do them any more!

I began by introducing 3 sounds a week but soon found they could cope with a new one every day. Obviously there will be the children who need extra support and the playing with sounds is great for games and activities.

I did exactly the same - Jolly Phonics as main phonics teaching and then small group work used the Playing with Sounds. But I have to say that I also did a lot on word recognition - those 45 key words. I use "walls" that go home to help them really get them. We start with phoneme walls that go home once we have learmned a group of phonemes. Then we introduce word walls which help with the reading books. For those who make very good progress we use writing walls where they learn to write those key words. The progress has been brilliant in both reading and writing. So really while I use one phonics method as my starting point I have other things working alongside to reinforce what they are doing.

Heyjude :o

our literacy co-ordinator has just come back from a meeting about the rose report and changes to literacy. the advisors are saying we should use playing with sounds rather than jolly phonics.

louise

VCOP????

You thought long and hard about applying in the first place, better to have applied and to withdraw than not apply and regret it. At least you have a good application letter in place, well done!

V - vocabulary (ambitious)

C - connectives

O- openings

P - punctuation

its set out in a pyramid showing the level so the children know exactly what their target is to improve their writing. My children love the idea of ambitious vocabulary. We start off with a simple sentence the children compose and add and change words to make it sound better. Ive been realy surprised with the words the children are now using in their independent writing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)