Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crb

I am trying to find out what the current procedure is here, as some colleagues seem to think it is still ok for volunteers to do an occasional morning as long as they do not take children to the toilet and are never left alone with children. Others have said this is no longer accepted without first being CRB checked. I know the Safeguarding Vulnerable Peoples Act may make a difference, but would like to know for sure. Thanks

At the setting i work in any one who will be with the chidlren for any lenght of time over a ong peroid will have a crb check as they are free at the moment this is not a problem at the moment . I think tis s what OFTSED wants as well have you checked the standards

Hi ,

My understanding of CRB checks is anyone who is either working, volunteering or in a college placement within schools, nurseries, pre schools, day care centre,s after school clubs etc,all need to be CRB checked. Even nurseries that have Chef,s Housekeepers or Nursery Admin staff should all be CRB checked.

Hope that helps abit.

Rosepetal :)

I agree that this is a grey and difficult area - we allow parents to settle their children in and this can go on for a week to several weeks to sometimes longer than this and we have parents who often want to come in and help and see what we do. If we had to carry out a CRB on all these people we would be doing about 35 a year which is really unmananageable and to be honest as we would most likely have to pay for them would render us broke!!! So I am taking the approach that my induction process and my process for unvetted persons for these people will cover the eventuality. It just would not be practically and financially possible to have everyone who came in to help/volunteer to be CRN checked.

What do others think? I have to say that if you disagree I think I will give up now.

Nikki

My understanding was that it is only regular volunteers that need to be CRB checked. If a parent comes in to help just once or twice a term, that is not classed as regular, and as long as not left unsupervised, does not need a CRB check.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)