Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside - Taking Turns On Bikes

Hi,

I'm looking for help with your ideas and experience again please.

I was outside on my own with a large proportion of the 52 children in the session. Some more of of the staff could have moved out to be with the children, however it gave me the opportunity to see the children arguing about having turns on the bikes. I'm thinking of making number plates and a sign for a vehicle rental service. When using number plates how many letters and numbers would you use? I thought one letter and three numbers and refer to the letters by name rather than the sound they make. Do you think it would help to hold up and call out a registration number when it was time for a change so that some of the children can read and match some letters/numbers? The children can also sign bikes in and out. I could have a puppet I have bought to talk about this to the children saying how he it will make them happy if they share.

Thanks for any help. Also - does anyone know why my topic titles don't come up underlined when most others do?

Ade

We use a 5 minute timer to determine when it is change over time. Most children are able to accept that once they have had their turn it is someone else's

Al

Do you have your bikes out all the time or sre they limited?

In my last school we only had them out sometimes and there was ALWAYS arguments over them.

In my new school I make sure they're out all the time and there are rarely arguments because the children are used to them and know they'll always be there (shared area for 45 Reception children). They're in use nearly all of the time but even when the children do complain they're not getting a go they are usually able to sort it out quite quickly by themselves.

Anyway, just a thought :)

I think your idea is worth a try--lots of additional skills to just bike riding. I have seen numbered "parking spaces" too. Depending on how old your children are, ie nursery or reception, I think it could be worth keeping the registrations very simple, one letter, one or 2 digit numbers.

Titles are underlined when you havent read them and the underlining disappears when topic has been read---so presumably as you started the topic it isnt underlined for you! I dont start enough to have noticed!!

Hi

Thanks it's good to hear your experiences in different settings.

The bikes are out for all the time the children are out but I think there's not enough other stuff going on so there's not enough choice.

Thanks for your help, Kelly. :)

Ade

Our children's arguments were mainly for the 2 big bikes, not for the rest... so we decided to make a daily rota. We had a sign poster which would have the pictures of the 2 children of the day. A teacher or an older child could check the waiting list (date and names) and put the corresponding photographs. Theese 2 children would have the chance of using one of those 2 bikes during all the playtimes. If the child didn't want to use it all the time, then s/he could decide to whom s/he wanted to give it in that moment. No more problems :o !

Depending what else is going on our children ignore the bikes in favour of more interesting things. At the moment they are more interested in washing them than riding them and so a group can access 1 bike!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)